BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so it's an hidden settings in bios on Dell laptop ? in that case we just need to know which nvram value to edit and which value to use.
    I know that for Dell ivy bridge and haswell (not sure about sandy bridge) you can edit nvram value thanks to a bootable usb key, the only issue is that you need to generate an "IFR file" for your bios, I don't know if you still can make it on newer Dell laptop, I never tried.

edit : well that's exactly what the reddit post shared before is doing, very easy stuff when you have the "magic file" that list all available bios option

2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @TheQuentincc I would be more interested in knowing, what other options are hidden but configurable in the Dell bios. Someone should make a tool for that. Or is there maybe a way to unhide all options so you configure them via the bios GUI? XMP profiles, fan control, sleep functions ect.

3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You need to extract the bios, then use UEFItool as the reddit post (I was not aware about this before) or make an IFR file if it's still working, more info here :
    techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6438-guide-dell-e6530-cpu-tdpmulti-unlocking/
    As for making a tool for that, I don't think it's very worth it, extracting the bios need to run a python, which is pretty easy, then for making a full IFR file, you should follow the link above.
    As for hidden settings don't expect a bios to same level as an Asus Zxxx desktop motherboard, I don't think it's worth the time of making these available in GUI, it's very quick and easy with the method linked above

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Could you please tweet back to Umar and post the link below. Say to him that Dell is on the way being world famous for killing it's own brand.
    https://www.ultrabookreview.com/370...g-on-their-laptops-heres-how-to-re-enable-it/

Edit. +5 reps added.

https://twitter.com/lakshay2015/status/1251557434256023552?s=20

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Ashtrix, hfm, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  5. Lakshya

Lakshya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I appreciate the passion in this thread greatly. :D

I would love to switch (back) to linux, but it's just not functional for gaming/eGPUs and battery life the point where I could just use it instead of fighting to get every app to work.

I would switch back to Apple and use a VM for work if they weren't already even worse with their hardware, having soldered everything and locking undervolts (though at least they are doing factory undervolting)

Papusan, tilleroftheearth and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Lakshya

Lakshya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Umar is asking for a G series laptop which has this undervolting disabled. I'm gonna reply "the entire G series is known to be plundervolted".

Edit: I just replied there. See if there's anything to be added. Let me know.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    etern4l, tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Should be enough. Maybe ask him when we can see Intel vulnerability fixes for etc <Plundervolt> for the whole Alienware lineup. Both current and older models. Because Dell have already patched XPS and the G series models.

jc_denton and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Is it not possible to opt out from these fixes atm? Or are they being pushed as obligatory updates.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Via bios updates or with help from Windows update servers. On top it will come microcode updates from Win update as patches when Intel have them ready for Microsoft.

raz8020, Lakshya and jc_denton like this.