BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, Dec 24, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hard to believe. What's the rationale for the crusade against undervolting? Umar K.'s statement that it won't be covered by warranty would be clear evidence he is a proper tool, since UV must have saved Dell from countless returns as well as directly and indirectly overheating-related support tickets/repairs.

The arrival of AMD Renoir could provide some respite if this disease spreads further.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    The Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 can be added to this list. Terrible pity, because the Precisions (especially the 7740) are powerful as hell, and allow the 9980HK to properly hit 5 GHz.

Let's hope the next generation moves to AMD Renoir.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    But why on earth would they prevent undervolting when their cooling solution can't even handle stock speeds without thermal throttling? :rolleyes:
    How could undervolting affect related components? what components? [​IMG]

raz8020, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just wanted to add for owners of the Dell laptops, that Dell (the crappy outsourced company who makes the bios updates) mostly messed up, as usual, how could it be different?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fxfcos/how_to_get_undervolting_back_after_g3/

Seems that if you update to the latest Dell bioses which include the deactivation of undervolt for INTEL-SA-00289 mitigations, that doing a bios load factory settings (load default wont work just factory settings) gives back undervolt (for the current bios, could be fixed in the next one of course).

This suggests to me, that moron Dell devs forgot to include the undervolt_off flag in the bios factory settings config. What other explanation would it be. There is no option visible to normal users in the Dell bios to turn on/off undervolt obviously.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    raz8020, Papusan, jc_denton and 2 others like this.
  5. Lakshya

Lakshya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Spartan

Believe me, Dell's higher management wouldn't have an idea of what undervolt is. Otherwise, not only would they allow us to undervolt, they would have simply undervolted the laptops from the factory, though this is all speculation based on Dell's behaviour and their tendency to cheap out on cooling and stuff. Remember, engineers are always slaves to their management - even though engineers know what is right, they have to do what their bosses want, as someone already said, boss is always right.

Management only thinks in numbers - in profits. Maybe they tend to think factory liquid metal'd laptops are not a sustainable model (although Asus is now shipping their ROG laptops liquid metal'd from the factory, but still have to see how much their stuff improves), given how unaware most of the buyers are about these nitty gritty things. When Dell's onsite technicians don't even know how to check CPU temperatures using a third party tool and ask you to go to BIOS instead to check temps, terming softwares like Throttlestop 'inaccurate', what do you expect?

@etern4l They'll get to know the consequences soon. At least we guys are not interested in their 10th Gen future models which are destined to be crippled from the factory with the plundervolt, pushing even higher frequencies without the undervolting ability. Good luck to them, as far as handling the RMA numbers is concerned :p. Though quite funny to see the way in which Intel is increasing stock clocks seems deliberate overclocking at this point, it doesn't even feel like those are factory clocks on laptops. Intel managed to mint another year of free money out of its 14nm Skylake by simply overclocking their chips to the point where the user will even dream of running it at its full stock potential, given crappy cooling design of most laptops.

I just asked Mr. Umar about it on twitter. Here you go: https://twitter.com/lakshay2015/status/1249319952395333633. Everyone can feel free to question his expertise in his domain, and ask the rationale behind their decision to totally take undervolting away. At least a choice can be provided for tech savvy users, as after all most of the buyers of these expensive machines are tech savvy in the first place. I'm curious to see his reply - if at all he replies. In case he chooses to dodge the question, you all are invited to the party here on my twitter post to let him know the difference between good and bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2020
    Papusan, maffle and etern4l like this.
  6. jhigh2K

jhigh2K Newbie

Reputations:
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lakshya likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That has absolutely nothing to do with the 7700HQ.
    Overclocking lock being disabled means you can overclock via the overclocking performance menu in the unlocked BIOS.
    It will not help you on a HQ Processor, which is hardware multiplier locked upwards to 3.4 ghz on all cores.

CFG lock being disabled allows you to change the C-state limit while in OS.

raz8020, Papusan and pressing like this.
  9. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI that reddit post got updated with a much simpler solution -

10. Lakshya

Lakshya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He guys, Umar has just replied to my post about the undervolting being taken away. He says "I am not aware of any undervolting ability being taken away. Looking at my system here I can still UV my system with XTU. Can I get more info?". Here's the link to his tweet: https://twitter.com/aw_umar/status/1249741619299061761

Papusan and etern4l like this.