"Black Cobra" Toughbooks & "Global GNSS GPS"

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ToughBreaK, Feb 26, 2018.

1. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought the TechTough CF-30 and CF-19 GPS parts when I had those laptops, and can attest that they work much better than the OEM GPS (not to mention much cheaper!) The build and installation clearly wasn't OEM (the CF-19 kit at the time required a bit of finesse with the connector and hot glue, not sure if it's still the same) but kept on going installed in a car dock through frigid winters and sizzling summers for a good couple years each.

2. TheSpiritOfRadio

TheSpiritOfRadio Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you have a picture of this black cobra gps unit?

3. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is what the GPS module looked like on my CF-19, from 2012.
    cf19-6.JPG

Attached Files:

4. SugarD-x

SugarD-x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm a little late to this party, but I figured my two cents may help with those questioning their quality.

I actually purchased my CF-30 from them directly awhile back before they started the "Black Cobra" branded series, when they were just painting the lids with their non-toxic materials and nothing more. I also purchased one of their older UBlox 6 GPS units before they came out with their current model. (All of my stuff was "state of the art" for the time for what they offered). I have been extremely satisfied by their service and quality, and their paint materials hold up VERY well. I've actually been spending my time trying to black-out my CF-30 just as their Black Cobra models are set up, however they are the ONLY ones that have certain materials I need to do so, and unfortunately do not sell the modified parts or labels separately. If I could get a hold of those, I'd upgrade mine to the Black Cobra line myself. They are an awesome company, and have been nothing but helpful with all of my questions, concerns, and purchases since day one. I've also bought several other accessories from them, and I've been nothing but impressed. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to go that route.

Edit: Here are some older images of my CF-30 before I added in the GPS and several other accessories:
    https://imgur.com/a/2KXFLSh

Edit #2:
    I've had my CF-30 since 2016 or so, and I've abused the hell out of it. So far none of the painted areas that TechTough has worked on have chipped at all. It actually still looks really good, and I've banged my CF-30 around against a lot of sharp, hard objects by accident. The original silver paint Panasonic used is actually getting scratched up more!

Edit #3: Here is my CF-30 today. (Ignore the scratches in the black handle. That came from another seller and they just used cheap spray paint).

https://imgur.com/a/pz5WLWc

The ONLY scratch I can find in their paint is that very, very tiny chip in the top, right corner of the cover where something stabbed it pretty good while it was in the trunk of my car for awhile.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I dealt with Andre at TechTough (TechTuff) many years ago. At times, when I didn't have the time to build my own, I have ordered his GPS units for different Toughbooks and I must say they worked flawlessly and much better than the OEM GPS.

TechTough is a great success story and is what a lot of Toughbook resellers wish they were. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any non-painted Toughbook from him as I am sure they are all of the highest quality.

This goes back to my long-standing pet peeve about painting Toughbooks. There are only two reasons why this is done.

1. To hide wear marks and scratches.

2. Marketing gimmickry. (I am waiting for the Toughbook reseller who offers working decoder rings along with their Toughbook!)

Panasonic DID make a few black Toughbooks for Special Forces and other fields. Special Forces obviously doesn't want to possibly give away their position with a glint of silver flashing. I am not sure what other possible reason there would/could be. The point is... If you have a black Toughbook and use it in daylight... You will suffer LCD loss faster than you would over using a stock silver one. These things are heat soaks when painted black. With no internal fan (Except the CF-31) painting them black seems like a death sentence to me. I leave mine either docked in my Havis mount in my truck or on the front seat during my daily drive. I couldn't imagine having a black top on mine.

VOCs and cancer? While I feel reasonably sure that a lab rat died somewhere in California because of an improperly painted Toughbook spewing off volatile organic compounds.... I would think the only way a human would feel such effect was if they were snorting something off the top lid of the Toughbook. And they would have to be snorting A LOT!

That said... Andre is the poster child for Toughbook reseller success. While I do not like black Toughbooks... I must say that the work he does do is top quality and I have no freakin idea how he makes any money doing what he does as his prices are usually insanely low.

Kudos to Andre!

kode-niner, toughasnails and Shawn like this.