Bitlocker Question

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Drew1, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey starlight... I got bitlocker to work... thanks again.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Yes, Bitlocker doesn't allow you to save your encryption key to the internal drive of encrypted machine. You either save it to some external drive (including, but not limited to USB stick), or print it to PDF. Never save the key to Microsoft account!
    It's drive identifier, your recovery key is inside the file.
    That, or print to PDF.
    Only ever choose new encryption mode. Forget about old compatible mode, it is completely useless nowadays.
    You're welcome. Glad it worked out in the end!

Papusan likes this.
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Thanks... yea i got bitlocker to work again.

By the way, this is related so I will ask this. I did a test of memory with the Windows Memory Diagostic. Have you done this ever? Well i did it and it took more than an hour... I did that to check if my new 32gb ram is good as i bought it weeks ago... well after it was done... when my laptop restarted, it immediately went to the ask me my bitlocker recovery key??? Do you know why that happened? I was shocked and didn't do anything for a bit... then suddenly laptop turned off. When i turned it back on... it then ask me for my bitlocker pin as normal and then im back to my desktop. I will put the windows 10 password soon.

But do you have a clue why it would ask me for my bitlocker recovery key? It freaked me out because i saved it to a usb drive so I do have it... but i need to connect it to another computer in order to access it.

4. Starlight5

Reputations:
    No.
    No.
    I can only guess that it may have something to do with how exactly the test works. Do you have the same problem under normal circumstances?

Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Because your pc re-started Troubleshoot RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

"the diagnostic tool cannot run from within Windows; you must restart your computer and allow the tool to run before Windows loads"

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This was my first time doing this memory test... never done it ever.

7. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Drew1 I mean now, when you boot normally without any memory tests, is everything OK? Does the Bitlocker ask for PIN, not for recovery key?

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

After it ask me for bitlocker recovery key after it restarted... then shut down... then i turned on laptop... it ask me for my bitlocker pin... i havent turned off my laptop after that. So I will know the next time i start up my laptop...

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My assumption is it should ask me for my bitlocker pin like normal from now on....

but now if i do that memory test again... i think it might ask for me the bitlocker recovery key... some reason i think that will happen.

So you suggest i just write down my recovery key on paper for now right? Then do the memory test again and see what happens? Issue is the memory test takes more than 1 hour which is pretty long. But i should still check to see if my ram is okay or not right? The other issue is i will be heading out the Us soon again so i have very little time if any to order new ram and send this one back. But if it recognizes it... no big deal then? Again, it was when we did those command prompt yesterday, where i saw bad memory in the {memdiag} which had me concerned. I never thought about my ram once i replaced it with the 32gb since it recognzied it.

10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Drew1 I suggest you run prime95 to test RAM, instead of other tests. As for storing bitlocker keys - if you use a flash drive, encrypt it with a long&strong password.