Bipolar disorder

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RedSensiStar, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSensiStar

RedSensiStar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting, I see others here have the same illness and I just wondered how anyone else manages. Afterall, 1-2% of the population has some form of it.

Lately I've been really manic with intense out of control euphoria -- like I snorted a gram of something that shouldn't be mentioned here. I'm not sleeping. Saw my doctor yesterday and got a new medicine: Lamictal 25mg daily. Not sure how it works with the depression side of the illness as mostly I'm always up up. Popped a few valiums an hour ago and hopefully will pass out and not be up another day (this is day 2 for me w/ no sleep). :(

2. eeekoi13

eeekoi13 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I could lecture you every single intervention I know about your disorder, but I guess you already know that. In my profesion, giving an advise is considered a non-therapeutic intervention but in your case, I'd definitely make an exception. My only advise, take whatever is prescribed to you dilligently, and take none other that is not.

3. Robert in Sadorus

Robert in Sadorus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Bipolar/ with mild paranoia.
    Medications didnt work for me, So i no longer take them, Unlike you I am on the depresive side of it but alert 80% of the time, I am antisocial, I dont like crowds of people, cant go in a resturaunt without looking around me all the time unless i can get a booth with my back against the wall.
    I don't sleep well at all, If i am lucky i'll get 3-4 hours a night.
    I usually just sit at home and watch TV or i'll go to a friends house and hang out for awhile. I dont have very many friends because i dont trust people. When i do hit a manic state wich isnt very often I feel like you do,(on some stuff that shouldnt be mentioned here) But that only last for a day or 2 then i settle back into being withdrawn.
    Valium has no effect. No matter the dosage. Tegretal,Lithium, Thorizine,Haldol/ Cogenton,Cylert,Ritilin, Elivil,(sp?) nothing works. Has no effect whatsoever.
    So if you find a Med that works. I envy you. Because my Doc has given up on trying.
    I am just your average 37 year old male married 7 years and doing well.
    I have gotten used to my *condition* everyone knows when i need my space and just want to be left alone, So they dont bother me.
    If you were to meet me today you would never know.
    One thing I have learned over the years is once someone with Bipolar sets their mind on something, there isnt ANYTHING That can stop them untill they get it done. May sound weird but spending money makes me feel better. Thats the weirdest thing.

4. foosa123

foosa123 adsfjldsajflkajsdfa

Reputations:
    wow, i feel rly sry for you guys with this disorder. it seems rly bad and i hope you guys find some cure for it :(:(:(:(:(:(

5. azntiger1000

azntiger1000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I want to ask you guys how did you know you have this "disorder?" I don't know if I have it or not =/

6. Blake

Blake NBR Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'm not full bipolar, but I do take medications for mood extremities.
    I don't know the technical medical name for it, but my moods fluctuate horribly without my medication. (Celexa)
    I nearly beat the living crap out of someone for merely turning a song a few notches down before I was prescribed. Then was mad for the next week.

Funny thing is, I'm one of the most chilled out guys you will meet.

Weird stuff..

7. eeekoi13

eeekoi13 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe your disorder would either be cyclothymic or dysthymic disorder.
    And as for azntiger1000, if you really want to know, the most accurate way would be to undergo a thorough psychiatric evaluation... A physician will do that for you...

8. zicky

zicky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My mom has that, but she's too stubborn to admit it. She says that if we send here to a psychiatrist then we're thinking she's some sort of nut job. So we can only deal with her mood swings.

9. ~Neuromancer

~Neuromancer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ...ur disorder comes across clearly in ur posts....

10. TwilightVampire

TwilightVampire Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm also bipolar. I've found the meds just make it worse, so I stopped taking them and I havent had as many extreme mood swings, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.