bioshock kills another pc

Discussion in 'Dell' started by soju, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soju

soju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://digg.com/pc_games/BioShock_So_awesome_and_cool_that_it_blows_up_computers_Pics

except this time the pc that died is mine! argh. ran the bioshock demo on my inspiron 9300 with geforce 6800. yes, it runs fine on low: 30+fps. played all the way till the end~ advertisement video ends, and boom computer shuts down. i realize it's been running at about 100degrees Celcius so i naturally wait for it to cool and restart it. it's fine the first restart. i uninstall it. defrag to smooth out the 2gb bioshock. and restart the computer again. big trouble, i get artifacts during the dell bios and then i get hit with nv4_mini.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area blue screen of death during xp loading.
    so i hit safemode and disable the video card. flash the bios, uninstall the driver. drivercleaner it. and install laptopvideo2go 84.25. 84.25 installs halfway, then for some reason nv4_mini.sys pops up again. laptop works fine when i disable the video card, even in normal mode. so here i am stuck, not knowing what to do. did the geforce card get fried because of the high temp? or did bioshock cause some kind of crash that affected something i don't know about. is it even possible to fry the geforce card? i didn't OC it, but then again it was at 100 degrees...

2. staffsMike

staffsMike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should actually be able to take 100 degrees without burning out but obviously when you get to those sorts of temps it can happen.

3. anime_freak

anime_freak Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i am pretty sure that ur card is toast

4. TuxDude

TuxDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah cards can be fried.... I remember my Geforce 6200 on my desktop PC burn out and caused a short circuit and turning off my system instantly.... Then after a long analysis found it was due to the gfxcard mainly because the fan was not running :(

5. soju

soju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so...what are my options for replacement video cards for the 9300 that are at least equal to the 6800?

6. staffsMike

staffsMike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the card removable?

7. soju

soju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i hope so...dell manual says i can. i think there's a guide on here explaining how to do it too. oh, and any way to make sure it's 100% video card fried? gonna open up the laptop this weekend, no tools right now

8. TuxDude

TuxDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even if you are able to remove it will you be able to get a new mobile graphics card ?

9. mellortron

mellortron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    would that kind of thing be covered under the warranty? if so i wouldnt mess with it, get it fixed by Dell.

10. burkle25

burkle25 Are you a color?

Reputations:
    if you still have your dell warranty, contact them ... they are your best bet and they will tell you what cards you can put in your computer

my dell is 3 years old and I only had one option of upgrading to a different card

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.