]]>

BIOS update (1.4.4) messed up my laptop

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by cyberlasha, Feb 13, 2018.

1. cyberlasha

cyberlasha Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have Alienware 15 R2, yesterday I updated my bios to 1.4.4, but after that some problems occurred.

1. my laptop bios startup needed 4-6 second, now it needs a minute (feels like eternity)

2. when I shut down my computer keyboard lights stays on

I tried to re-install old BIOS, but It says that 1.4.4 is protected and cant install old one.

what can I do about this case?

Update: sleep is also not an option, when it sleeps, it’s same as shut down (lights on, not waking up, no reaction on power button until I long press it and turn power off completely)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 9:53 PM
  2. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just press F12 when booting up, use a FAT32 formatted USB drive, download old 1.3.12 bios and use GSET BIOS Flash utility, and select the older bios from that utility, using tab button u can navigate to ur folder, once selected, it will ask not to format to older bios, just press cancel.. tahts it..

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MEI FW update will fix those issues. After FW update you need to shutdown the PC for 15 mins and initial Boot up will be slow and after installing newer MEI driver and couple of reboots. The boot sequence is way faster than old firmware.
    @VICKYGAMEBOY Should I post updated guide?

pathfindercod likes this.
  4. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Vasudev, your update will probably invalidate peoples warrantys and is in no way a known "fix" for anything.

No-one even knows if you can undo it back to "factory" so to offer it to others is far from "safe" or advisable.

The issue is Alienware needs to fix their BIOS. It is THEIR problem and hacking and patching (especially with MEI FW that you cannot support) is NOT the way of going about dealing with this.

It is OK to be a fan-boy and want to hack your own system. To hack internal system components with unverified software from unverified sources is NOT the way for others to fix any of this. Great for you if you feel comfortable, but it is wrong for you to advocate others to damage what they have with your techniques.

0lok likes this.
  5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It would be helpful for some people.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well TBH most people actually think its risky even including myself until I went in and used the script suggested by Chef Koch.
    Well, I guess people will wait until Dell issues a fix. As I see 90% don't want it and for 10% I posted the minimal guide in here New BIOS for 15R2/17R3 v1.4.4 and for FW if Prema's tool is unavailable New BIOS for 15R2/17R3 v1.4.4

0lok and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  7. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    next time should we post a thing so called * do it at your own risk * haha, i myself have tested other firmwares on older boards and with many other devices, so let the users choose what they want to do, we just post with caution next time, if something goes wrong with their particular board / sets of drivers they run, we cant be held responsible, this ME firmwares and BIOS things are very complicated.. but post the update guide, FYI i used Forcereset for all BIOS / ME FW on other laptops..

0lok likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then why are you getting flagged for sa0086 exploit, when you're latest FW? BTW, I tested it on AW 15 r2 only.

9. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    well i dont have latest FW on my R2 yet.. its for other laptops.. those system is not getting exploit thingy.. but i they got windows activation issues like i had before..

Vasudev likes this.
  10. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly, I think it is great that people feel confident enough to muck around with an expensive laptop like this to try to fix what Dell won't just yet...

My only issue is in advising others that may not be as technically inclined to do something that could end up bricking their unit. That is all.

I am sure there are a lot that are looking for a "fix" and could result in them not having a functioning unit with no options/recourse...

As it stands, the more people that ***** at Alienware/Dell, the better... That is the ONLY way for them to be motivated to fix their problems. Sad part is, on units out of warranty, it is well known that most companies won't do anything unless forced by the threat of a lawsuit. Just look at the nVidia killing off GTX480s with drivers... Done on purpose and they didn't care since all of them were out of warranty. No one got together to sue and they should have.

Kinda funny that about 20 releases of their drivers later it is no longer killing cards and the cards are running fast enough that a pair in SLI can keep up with GTX880s at 1920x1080... The earlier drivers wouldn't have come close because of all the messing around they did to hamstring those cards... There was a reason they ran so hot, that being they injected a ton of bogus calcs to slow the cards down so the 580/680/780s all looked better... With the newest drivers those cards run amazingly cooler and are fast as hell... I have a pair in SLI in my main desktop rig...