Bios & EC Update for Aero 15X v8

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by drieschel, Aug 2, 2019.

1. XZiar

XZiar Newbie

Reputations:
    My dgpu is not correct recognized after update BIOS to FB0A.

Seems the SUBSYSTEM ID of dgpu was modified from 1653 to 1652, which should be GTX1060 for AERO15W, while my model is AERO15X with GTX1070 max-q.

In fact, the FB0A BIOS file for AERO15X is identical to the BIOS file for AERO15W, not sure if it is a mistake.

I can still force to use nvidia's driver, but I am unable to perform driver update.

I tried to force flash the old BIOS FB09, still the same issue.

I don't count on Gigabytes to solve EC Error issue anymore, but at least don't publish untested BIOS and ruin my laptop.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's odd, I don't have that issue. I download the bios directly from Gigabyte's website, perhaps try that?

3. XZiar

XZiar Newbie

Reputations:
    I am using the BIOS downloading directly from Gigabyte's website.
    After Turn off 3d accerlerate and Turn on again, my model do change back to AERO15X and dgpu's SUBSYSTEM ID is correct now. But I am now running on FB09 as I previous forcely downgrade it.
    My chrome went black for the hardware changing...

4. ra[g]e

ra[g]e Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just updated my BIOS today to FB0A / F008.

Broke my displays, and was not able to detect the Nvidia 1070 after the update. Wasted an hour troubleshooting. Stupid Gigabyte, really terrible on the software / firmware front.

My current setup has 3 external monitors, 2 of them powered by the HDMI/mini-DP, and the 3rd by a thunderbolt 3 dock. After the BIOS update, two monitors went dark, Nvidia card was not detected under device manager.

Fix was stupidly simple. Detach the thunderbolt 3 cable and boot. Nvidia is now detected. Shutdown and re-attach the cable. Everything works.

Wonder why they can't get these things to work properly.

5. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I always unplug any external devices (mice, drives, monitors) before doing any kind of driver or BIOS updates. Figured this was the norm.

6. Ollie222

Ollie222 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone worked out what this latest bios changed yet?

7. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I updated from FB05 --> FB0A
    The bios update blue screened on me but was successful anyways. no problems. The issue several posts earlier with dgpu pcie IDs getting switched around is definitely not universal.
    No issues with devices not getting detected, and this bios doesn't lock down the cpu power limits which was a fear I had that made me avoid bios updates for so long.

Either this bios, or more likely a bios released some time between 05 and 0A improved thunderbolt 3 egpu compatibility. For me on FB05 my egpu wouldn't be detected at all on a reconnect, but with 0A and a cmos clear later eGPUs (at least razer core x chroma) are working as you would expect (seamless hot disconnects and reconnects, all the egpu monitors fire right up). Previously no gpu would show up at all in device manager without a reboot. big improvement.