Bimmer Killer

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by usapatriot, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Guys, I am not trying to be mean, or a smarty pants.
    I have had the idea of running factory parts in my engines after reading the 800+ pages of my engine manual. On every spread of the book it has information on the natural components, turbo components and the differences.
    Just today I learned that turbo springs have a different valve seat angle than natural valve seats on detroit 53 heads. The angle is such that the seats on a turbo head can be reground to put natural valves/springs in it, but not the other way around.

If the differences are enough that the manufacturer states every potential flaw of running turbochargers on natural engines, on every page of an 800+ page book, for just one series of engines, there is a difference. Problems may appear in minutes after running a turbo on a natural engine, or never at all. There will always be a difference between a Turbocharged engine and a natural engine with a turbo slung on the side.

I have dozens of General Motors/Detroit engine brochures which I can scan and post for fact.
    I have NEVER seen any engine manufacturer come out and say that running a turbocharger on a natural engine will cause NO damage.
    What you guys are preaching is just a load of BS in my mind.
    I will believe you if you post a single example, but until then I am completely skeptical

K-TRON

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    u are lookin at it all wrong buddy.

yes, OEM turbo engines do come with better internals. that's cuz the internals in a turbo engine will be seein alot more stress due to a big spinny thing ramming air down it's throat basically. that doesn't mean there is any less R&D or hard work that goes into a mean NA engine.

another thing u are doing wrong is u are comparing yur purpose built diesels to a common consumer engine. they are 2 worlds apart. there is no way a diesel engine would make it if it did not have such heavy duty hardware. u should know more than anyone that diesel's combustion is completely different from a petrol engines combustion process. another thing to think about is all the law suits and recalls a company would have if they put out a turbo engine with inferior parts. turbo engines require more care and maintenance from the operator. manufacturers must over design alot of aspects of an FI motor to help maintain general reliability.

it's like u are comparing the hardware on yur commercial grade john deere tractor mower to a little dinky 1.2 HP 2 stroke lawnmower. u needa start thinkin outside of that little box. there are so many NA motors that can easily handle XX amounts of boost just fine. that number can easily be pushed much farther with a quick swap of some aftermarket parts. u can't be seriously sittin there tellin me that the many NA v8's, v10's, and v12's found in f1 cars, lambos, ferraris, audis, aston martins, and sooo many more are complete crap. NA power delivery and curves aren't even the same as a FI engines'.

3. 07torchgt

07torchgt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    of course from the factory there will be some differences... come on man... who do you think youre talking to... but you can't honestly believe that a lot of the NA engines out there won't be able to handle light to moderate boost amounts... thats just retarded... like I said before, if the compression ratio isn't too high and you have a good tune and enough fuel to go with the extra air then every engine has a safe limit... by your argument, it could lead some to believe that you can never boost an NA engine and factory built turbo/supercharged engines can handle anything... trust me on this... that factory turbo diesel has a limit... its high but its there... the 03-04 mustang cobra(terminator) came from Ford with a supercharger... with an iron block and forged internals... do you think it can withstand 30 pounds of boost from the factory, hll no... can an NA 2V 4.6 ford handle 10 pounds, hll yes... its been done many many many times and driven to well over 100k miles... can the higher compression LS chevy motors handle 15psi stock... nope, they go pop.... can they handle 6... yup, done safely many many times... tell me i'm wrong... i can show you pictures of MY NA 4.6 handle 18 psi with no problem everyday...

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So now I must find a way to shield the CAI from water...any ideas? It's in the lower bumper behind the left fog light. I don't want to hyrolock my less than one year old car...

5. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Placement of is the key

Never had a problem with mine and it just sat above the splash guard. I was worried at first but after rainy drives the filter wasnt wet at all.

You can get a hydro shield/rain jacket if your running a pod, but from what ive been told its a waste of money.

6. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    i would definately recommend at least getting a better fueld pump / bigger injectors.

thats all i have on my 4.6L GT with a P1SC blower... you don't need forged anything unless you're racing it.

i remember reading that the modular 2v 4.6L's block can withstand up to 630 HP or so. i know it was between 600-650. the pistons are probably fine with this, however, it's to be assumed you're not racing.

if you're racing and constantly in WOT then yeah, you're going to want to upgrade everything internally. however, you can run between 400-550 HP at the crank on the 2v 4.6L, and i hear much better things about the 3v 4.6L

i

8. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Well I don't plan on boosing my car. If I did, it's very likely that the engine, transaxle and subframe would just brake free from the car.

The mod v8 ... don't really like it in the trucks. Seems like it needs more low end torque.

9. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, something like that but that only works with AEM CAI's...

10. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:

well...ford is coming out with the new modular 5.0L with 412 hp and 390 ft lbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.