Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1103 compatability

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by rawhide85, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I've seen that posted about Firefox combined with McAfee not playing nice with Killer Wireless before. It seems really strange to find a conflict like that. I don't use McAfee security products. Sorry I cannot offer any advice on this. Maybe someone that uses McAfee has found a work-around they can share with you.

If you end up having to go with something else to get the Killer working right, try ESET or Vipre. I like both security products quite a lot. They are light on system resources, very effective and highly configurable. (The lack of ability to configure file and folder exceptions is one of the reasons I don't use McAfee.)

2. Sentinel196

Sentinel196 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gahh, I just checked my replacement system and it has the Intel wireless card. My original system was ordered with the bigfoot chipset. Not happy!!!

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sentinel, this happens every time to me. I have the Intel Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 MIMO and every M18x replacement ships to me with Intel 6200 2x2 in error. There seems to be some sort of issue with a systemic downgrading of hardware specs. I also started out with a BluRay burner, which they no longer offer for some odd reason. (The model I have is still available, just not sold by Alienware any more.) With each exchange I have needed to disassemble both systems to transfer parts to avoid being downgraded.

I actually had one uninformed nitwit try to tell me the 6200 was an upgrade that was faster than the 6300, LOL.

Having said that, they will look at what you were supposed to have and quickly send you the correct wifi card. They have always been very good about making it right very swiftly. It's just frustrating to have to deal with it. My current configuration has never been updated to reflect what my system is actually equipped with.

4. Sentinel196

Reputations:
    Mine has the 6300, but the original system had the bigfoot. I've sent my contact an email explaining what's happened, as well as asking what they are going to do about the 3D issues with the prototype message, so we'll see.

How hard is it to swap over network cards? I would imagine fitting the bigfoot might be tricky due to the extra antennas?

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No sir... it is very easy to do. How many antennas does the Killer have? The 6300 has 3 antennas. The M18x is pre-wired with 3 antennas.

6. Sentinel196

Reputations:
    OK cool. killer has 3 antennas too so it should be easy :) Just wish I'd noticed before I sent the old unit back! lol

7. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    One of the main reasons I use McAfee is because it was free and I have a year and a half left on it or so. Got it with my R1 which Dell refunded, but the McAfee was never canceled so I use it. I like having the paid full version because it offers a lot of stuff. Never looked at folder exceptions, but I know you can set up custom scans and such. Plus a lot of hate is geared towared it being a "resource hog" which I don't see as it can be set to run in the background with minimal resources. But to each his own. I'll see if I can find anything on it.

8. bahnzii

bahnzii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had good luck with the latest Norton, which I get for free with Comcast.
    I was afraid, as others are, of it being a resource hog, but it hasn't so far.

As DR mentioned about McAfee, Norton runs in the background during idle time, unless I manually trigger something, so I have never noticed a hit on OS or Game performance.

Hey DR, you still riding a DR650 btw?
    I recently picked up a Multistrada, killer ef'ing bike!!
    Shiny side up :)

9. Sentinel196

Reputations:
    I had to turn off the McAfee realtime protection thing because the process sits at 10-20% cpu load all the time.

10. Mortinator

Mortinator Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Strange.. whenever i'm downloading something from steam or origin, my internet gets blocked and i cant browse the internet. Is there an option to change this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.