Big Sur is officially macOS 11.0 as Apple finally leaves OS X behind

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2020.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So you think they won’t add a touch screen to a Mac because it might hurt iPad sales - but they will happily call an iPad a laptop replacement and not worry about hurting Macbook sales? Can’t have it both ways.

kojack likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The reason they never had touchscreen Mac products was because of the macos software, that's just been fixed now.

3. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MacBook and iPad are definitely converging. At the 12-13” end form factor wouldn’t be much of an issus, once modularity (ie keyboard attachments) become a little more mature it could be very likely maybe not very soon but it’s highly probable.

Even if they added a touchscreen to current Macs I doubt it would affect iPad sales. I personally know very few people with touch screen laptops who actually use the touch screen. For the most parts it’s pretty crude on most laptops. I bought my sister an iPad Pro for art work because it has a better touchscreen with pressure sensitivity and importantly far more accurate with a screen closer to the touch layer. Her Dell XPS has a touch screen and she barely uses it, compared to the trackpad.

Additionally going back and forth between a screen and keyboard seems more cumbersome than just a trackpad and keyboard. Seems more like a half baked novelty right now in laptops.

With a detachable or foldable 2 in 1 or the likes of the Surface with a decent accurate touchscreen it makes more sense as once you take off the keyboard and use it as an actual tablet, the touchscreen is far more functional. Also with the detachable devices you can actually use the touchscreen much better for things like drawing, notes etc. But in regular laptops not so much. Plus the W10 UI itself seems much better oriented to the old ways of input.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I use my touchcreen alot. I cannot go back to a non touch device. My desk monitor is touch as well and I am always using it editing videos and photos. Non touch is a NO GO for me.

5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackintosh
    Hmmm... I guess the name Big SUR was retained with the significance of Big Stop of Unapproved Replication?

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's apple completing their lock down of their software intellectual property. iOS and iPadOS are already locked down, with no way in other than through apples gateway and now MacOS is sealed too.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You guys are forgetting Big Sur is running and will continue running on Intel based Macs. As long as Intel based Macs are supported, Hackintosh will exist.

kojack likes this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Everything won't work like it does on arm however. Plus I think it's going to be a two year phase out of Intel based machines all together. I'm very interested in the new Apple, and what they have up their sleeve with arm Macs. Touchscreen Macs are incoming too, finally. A new patent just went through about some new touchscreen tech from apple and it was Mac based.

electrosoft likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    jclausius likes this.