Big Sur is officially macOS 11.0 as Apple finally leaves OS X behind

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Big Sur is officially macOS 11.0 as Apple finally leaves OS X behind
    June 22, 2020
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299799/macos-11-big-sur-os-x-apple-verison-number-end-era

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's interesting to see what will happen in the next 6 months. I really like the idea of all the iOS apps working natively on MacOS and scaling correctly. Windows tried this but their CEO had his head in the clouds instead. No doubt, MS made a boat load on cloud, but they could be in a much better position than they are now if they never had a one vision CEO.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just to make sure no one is conflating things here... Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) will *not* be able to run iOS apps natively on existing (intel based) hardware. When released end of the year - thru 2021, only the new ARM based Macs running the new OS will be able to emulate enough of the ARM chip in phones that iOS apps will run on Mac OS.

Also, it'll be interesting to watch Apple over the next 12-18 months. It is a given, A Computer is a computer. A Phone is a phone. A Tablet is a tablet. They have different interfaces and user expectations. That is what Microsoft missed causing the failure of Windows Phone / Windows 8 design. Now granted, Apple is doing it a bit opposite (allowing Phone design to run on a computer vs. MS' approach of your computer should act exactly like a phone). So it will be interesting to see what (if anything) comes out of it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Terreos, Papusan and saturnotaku like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, I know all about the hardware side of things. But it's very interesting that Apple has now the basis for one Software platform for everything. Meaning, the app on iphone, ipad and mac will be exactly the same. They are even designing the MacOS to physically look like ipadOS/iOS. It's a great setup when they get it all working. However, a couple of things I need to do work on, will not work on macOS so I am waiting to see if they will move to that platform too.

5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just changing some icons and imaging to look the same is fine, but the overall UI and user interaction will still be different. For those who may be in the dark, see https://www.apple.com/macos/big-sur-preview/ for the changes in the next macOS.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I would expect the Dock bar to stay in Computer version of MacOS, but there would still be no Dock bar in iPhone. Computer version of MacOS expects a keyboard for fluid operation, and iOS expects fingers and gestures. ( That is the point where Windows 8/Windows Phone lost it. They do NOT have nor require the same exact interface. )

Papusan likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    So far it looks good and running fine. Glad I can still run Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X. Although I would like to try the new ones :D

Running iOS 14 , iPad OS 14 and WatchOS 7. Feeling adventurous this year

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With all APPLE system with APPLE heart, soldered WIFI, as well as other components, that makes it too "exclusive" for the OS-XI, we'll be sure that the possibility of OS-XI Hackintosh or Ryzentosh will not be seen in the next 6mths period time... APPLE had certainly put a plug there to make their OS to be fitting only with APPLE SOC.
    In the next 6mths, be it Hackintosh on INTEL systems or Ryzentosh on AMD builds, the OSes will like to be those base on the old 10.11~15.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It'll be more interesting to see if there's any SLICERS* out there can slice up the new APPLE OS ...
    [​IMG]
    ...and recode it to fit any system builds in any platform or hardware types!
    *HACKER​

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But there is a dock on iOS and iPadOS as well. They just operate different. Windows was SO CLOSE. But Nadella decided to can all of it and just put his head in the cloud. Nothing wrong with that, but they were close to having a really special setup.

I said the exact same thing to my wife yesterday. Apple just put the kybosh on hackintosh systems. DONE, OVER, FINITO....

Are you running them all now in preview?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2020