Big problem after formatting Alienware M17x

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Palladium, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palladium

Palladium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear all,
    I am a new user in this forum and I hope you guys can help me with a big problem: I bought an Alienware M17x (with the DUAL HD 5870) in June and everything worked fine until last week when suddenly several errors occurred.
    I was so stupid to format the Harddrive (C:) and reinstalled windows 7 but then realized, that all the custom stuff and above all, the Dell DataSafe Backup Client was gone. Now I am unable to access the restore partition and the CDs that came with the machine only contain Win7 and a source DVD with the drivers. I would like to reset my machine to factory settings using the restore partition. Can anybody help me with this issue?

2. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My hdd didnot had any factory installation backups as it used to when I had M1730s with 10GB partition.
    So, I think you should contact AW support to get a factory image or something..

3. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an R2 and there is a hidden partition with restore stuff in it.
    You can try and use Acronis Disk Director and make a boot disk to boot the computer and make the hidden partition primary. If successful, the computer will boot with the hidden partition and you can restore the hard drive to manufacturer's default (like when you first got it). Now, use the boot disk again and this time, make the main part of the hard drive primary and you are all done.

4. alvinkhorfire

alvinkhorfire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Provided that you did not tamper with Recovery partition, you can perform the steps in my post to reinstall AlienRespawn and restore your computer back to factory state.

5. Palladium

Reputations:
    @ils: I don´t have Acronis Disc director and I think you have to buy it do you?

@alvinkhorfire: Thanks for your nice response: I tried to follow your procedure but when I downloaded the Alienware Respawn and tried to install it it told me that there is no windows recovery environment and stopped the installation. Is there anything I can do? You are my last resort! I already called Dell and they said they are not responsible for anything with Software :-(

6. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Assuming that you have Windows insalled and you can boot into it.
    Before trying my method, you need to check if the recovery partition is still intact by going into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and click on Disk Management (under Storage on the left pane). You should see a small partition (around 14.65 GB with roughly around 5 GB used) named Recovery. If that's still there, reply and let me know and we can try and go further. If the Recovery partition is not there, there's no point pursuing because my method won't help as you don't have anything left to recover.
    Good luck and let me know and I'll do the best I can because in all honesty, I haven't done this in quite a while.

7. Palladium

Reputations:
    Hi ils!
    you are really kind and I hope we can fix this. I checked the partition and it´s still there and has the correct size. See attached figure:

Attached Files:

8. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are really fast.
    I need you to check one more thing:
    1. Restart your computer and hit F8 to get to alternate boot option.
    2. When the alternate boot option comes up which consists of a bunch of different boot alternatives including safe mode.
    3. Is there an option: 'Repair Your Computer' which normally is the first option?
    4. If there is, select it and allow it to boot into repair screen.
    5. Now, is there an option: 'AlienRespawn Restore and Emergency Backup'?
    6. If there is (and I hope it's there but somewhere in the back of my head, there's a voice saying no), select it and you are home free.

If the above steps yield nothing fruitful, I will see if I can create that boot disk for you.

9. Palladium

Reputations:
    Oh man, this really drives me crazy. I restarted the computer and hit F8 but there was no "Repair" option. I don´t understand. I downloaded the Dell DataSafe Backup and the AlienwarRespawn Software but I can´t install it because everytime I try, it says there is not Recovery Environment. Does this have to do with my Windows? Should I try another install disc?

10. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One more long shot: when you reinstall Windows, did you use the disk that came with the computer? If not, try that and see if F8 give you the "Repair" option. If you did use the Windows CD that came with the computer and the "Repair" option is not there, let me know if you want to use the Acronis Disk Director boot disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.