Big power and portability notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by flybykite, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flybykite

flybykite Newbie

Reputations:
    1. START COPY
      ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $3000 USD or less

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 15-17"
      a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
      b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
      c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
      d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
      e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
      3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. Canada, Vietnam, Thailand, Russia or online. (Sorry, I travel a lot)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
      a. Like: Alienware, Samsung and anything reliable except Apple.
      b. Dislike: Apple
      5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Sure but preferably new

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Simple photo editing, basic video editing, web page management, movies, downloading, multi page web surfing, loading 250+ images at a time to photoshop.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Traveling a lot so weight is an important factor. I currently have an alienware 17" tank that is just too heavy but love the power.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No games but I'll need plenty of processing power for multitasking and photoshop.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Would love to have 6 hours or more but not completely a deal breaker. My current Alienware gets only 1.5 - 2 hours and that's too little.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Ok with buying blind online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows 10 / Perhaps with dual Android if that's possible.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) I need a larger text and I'm fine with dumbing down a higher res. screen although I'd prefer not to go 4K because of the large battery drain, heat generated..

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.) Non Glossy is best but I could live with either. A touch screen has drawn my curiosity recently and I'd like to consider laptops with it.

2. Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Marginally but its always nice. Like the back light keyboard.

15) When are you buying this laptop? July 2017 or earlier if its available in the country I'm currently in.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? Future proof! 6-7 years hopefully

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? SSD is important at least for the OS and I prefer a dedicated drive for the OS and program installation. 256-500 GB will be fine as a storage drive.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No
    I've been looking at the XPS15 or a Samsung Notebook 9 pro lately as I'd like to have the touch screen. I'm not convinced Dell's XPS 15 has all their bugs worked out and reliability is important for this laptop. I'd worry that Samsung's Notebook 9 pro might get too hot and have a short life. I really like my alienware R1 for the processing power and snappy response time but its simply too heavy and bulky for travel. I'd consider another Alienware or similar if it were lighter/smaller, not as loud, didn't run so hot.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  2. achad

achad Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.