BGA vs PGA continuation

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, May 6, 2015.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I need to bump this thread so we can continue with the topic. @TANWare or other mods for this sub forum... Can you please edit the thread title as described so it can be more correct? Or maybe you @Mr. Fox know who is the correct mod I should tag? Thanks:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back to topic:cool:
    I tested 6700BGA@3.1GHz clock speed with my 6700K to see what bench score and power draw could be vs. fully locked mobile i7-6700hq@3.1GHz. It looks like the soldered mobile i7 FILTH are not as energy efficient as some claime:confused: Intel want more $$$ for their mobile i7 but offer less aka no TIM and IHS.

Wiping out the the 6700BGA bench scores on Hwbot with same clock speed. Wprime 1024M maxed out at 31.1W and max 33C degrees. Best Wprime scores for 6700BGA@3.1GHz in Hwbot (206,273 sec and 6sec 745ms) was smashed in a jiffy:D http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_6700hq/ The result can be seen in pict.

Wprime 1024M maxed out at 31.1W in Cpu package power
    [​IMG]

Cinebench R15 maxed out at 28.1W in Cpu package power.
    [​IMG]

See http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...6-owners-lounge.797458/page-201#post-10424577
    Awful reading:eek: http://imgur.com/a/e8Ius

WHY PAY MORE FOR LESS?:eek:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Papusan

Reputations:
    Bump this informative thread so new forum users can easily find it.

Ashtrix likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Bump. :D

4. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Facts: BGA= Soldered surface mount CPU. If it gets hot under load or demanding tasks. The solder joints on said surface mount CPU crack with the heat and cooling cycles aka expansion and thermal contraction. BGA= Sorry, you're screwed. New motherboard please. Assuming you can get one for your machine from the manufacturer at any cost.

BGA= The enemy of common sense on a performance machine, the enemy of repairable and upgradeable. Not acceptable on an expensive performance laptop of any kind, not just gaming machines either, those who do any kind of audio creation or video editing, CAD/CAM users, and all enthusiasts do not need the feces called BGA and it's brothers Thin and Light.

I am an electronics technician. BGA and SMD are my enemies. I HATE BGA. I rest my case. I just told you the reasons why. Many people can't or don't want to replace machines so often. Many must make do for a few years. Also, hobbled BIOSes are also thy enemies. As they limit our ability to tweak and optimize our machines to their best.

Remember too, friends. Heat and excessive amounts of it, are the enemy of electronics when you need reliable and long lasting. Keep those machines cool. They run better and throttle less.

5. Papusan

Reputations:
    +rep
    Not a easy task when you have to struggle with similar like THIS

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Bump. From oblivion.

Ashtrix likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    At least it is a solid foundation as a starting point. No amount of money, time or effort can make a BGA turdbook acceptable. Ever. Better to pay a lot for something with potential than waste money on a disposable piece of garbage that cannot be fixed.

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm fine with using a garbage laptop if I'm paying a garbage price, and leave my high end stuff to desktops. Its just laughable that companies demand premium prices for notebooks with such glaring issues. Alienware's BGA notebooks come to mind. Not a SINGLE one left the factory without needing a repaste. The gall to call 95 degC CPU operating temps "normal" is insane (as a dell rep told me when I very briefly had an Alienware 17 R2). Then there was the whole PSU debcale where they shipped a 180W PSU, figured out that it wasn't enough to power full load CPU+GPU, so they made the BATTERY supply additional power during load!! Clevo has had ill-fitting heatsinks since the dawn of time, something you think should have been straightened out by manufacturing for so long. I'm fed up with notebooks.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Don't forget the crippled power handling limit on the Alienware 18 Viking. That was not fixable. Dell used valuable information provided by their enthusiast focus group about what could be done to make their good products better to instead engineer broken garbage before they went BGA. Things have only gone downhill from there. At least the ill fitting Clevo heat sinks is a correctable issue and you can end up with something wicked and awesome if you take the time to deal with it. Can't say the same for the tripod crap and the wimpy unified heat sink trash the rest of them are building. It didn't require too much effort on the last few Clevos I have owned, but it did require some effort. While it is difficult to excuse, that's more than a little bit different than dealing with uncorrectable engineering defects (including those that are intentional) and perma-broken BGA feces. But, I agree with you. Totally fed up with notebooks. I'm pretty sure the modded P870DM-G I have right now is the last notebook that I will spend more than a few hundred bucks on. I am sticking to desktops for performance from now on (cheaper and easier, and more powerful) and buying only throw-away Walmart BGA crapbooks for under $500 and Chromebooks for like $150 from now on for mobility purposes. I am never going to drop more than a few weeks worth of lunch money on a BGA turdbook... ever. The OEMs can ram all of the crippled, overpriced, disposable gamer-boy soldered BGA filth up their posterior orifices.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    DreDre and Dr. AMK like this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    BGA turdbooks have pretty much the same performance as LGA turdbooks. I don't care if you can run your CPU on 5.2ghz on the desktop looking at your icons. Or run crysis 3 on 91c @ 4.2 - 4.7ghz while turdbooks achieve the exact same results with their unlocked BGA CPU's.Maybe slightly hotter, who cares at 91c anyways of it gets at 93c, both temps are garbage.

MSI does it right, finds the sweetspot and makes the cooling sufficient and balances the entire system. They understand that there are limits to the formfactor and acceptable temps, at least on their higher specced systems. Wasting 5k USD on a machine that can never hope to achieve the same results as a ~1.2K USD desktop is laughable. And before anyone thinks I'm saying that a 5K USD MSI machine is acceptable, no it isn't. Anything beyond a 1070 is 95% of the times brutally overpriced and shouldn't ever get bought in the first place.

LGA turdbooks or BGA turdbooks with completey insufficient cooling deserve the just dissapear from the market. I'd be so happy if companies would finally drop the idea of pumping ridicolous hardware into a notebook and instead get good hardware and optimize their systems instead.

But I'll make my point clear:
    MSI BGA Dominator 7700HQ with 1070 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 8700K 1080SLI Clevo.
    Yes, the MSI has a really really mediocore chasis, but you get good speakers, much better software, much better support, much less noise, better cooling, good temps, smaller PSU, less SLI issues with games that don't support it etc.

If anyone actually gets to the point where he actually cares about the differences between a 8700K and a 7700HQ then a Micro ITX Build Xeon build with 32+ cores will smash the crap out of the 8700K. I don't see the reason for the existance of those LGA notebooks, especially since people don't even get upgradability to another series without modding. Anyone with an ivy bridge CPU and MXM port will have pretty much the same performance in gaming as a 8700K +1070 when they upgrade their 3920XM notebook to a 1070 MXM GPU.

So in a nutshell, both the LGA and BGA are both crap thanks to piss poor design and terrible build. If clevo would at least come up with some kind of actual solution where the noise and the heat is acceptable, nobody would complain, but nope, still the same garbage.

Dr. AMK likes this.