BGA vs PGA continuation

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Papusan, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    To be fair Sandy's 2600K and 2700K parts also had 95W TDP. Of course the difference there was Intel didn't cheap out back then and still used solder on the IHS. Interestingly since AMD's Bulldozer disaster, starting with Ivy Bridge Intel no longer used solder except in the HEDT chips. Coincidence? :vbrolleyes:

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    IMHO the big issue is if there are major problems the damage control would be a catastrophe. Say just 10% of all the CPU's have media issues. It would no longer be just a quick trip to an authorized repair shop or even a DIY project. Because of BGA essentially all those systems would require an entire main board replacement.

TomJGX likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It's worse for you if you are out of warranty and either the processor or graphics card fails. It will be an very expensive experience with Bga hardware. A motherboard with all hardware soldered on is not exactly cheap to obtain if you dont have a warranty anymore... Also more difficult to obtain a motherboard than a graphics card or a processor.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Kent T, TomJGX and TBoneSan like this.
  4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    You know, I was in the middle of typing that I felt this would only apply to people who cheap out on purchases and buy super low end machines expecting ~5 years out of it... but then I realized that while NBR is a fairly large collection of higher-end notebook users, it's simply that: a large collection.

We're not the majority, not even close, and there's a TON of them out there that buy machines on 1-2 years warranty then instead of swapping them out every year or two like NBR users might, they'll try to keep them for ages, and if something goes wrong, they're so SOL it's not even funny.
    Just look at the number of old clevo owners who are popping up on the forum recently... Their first posts are all like "Hey, my P170HM's AMD GPU died, where can I find another?" or "So my 680M in my P150EM died, any replacements?" and "where can I find a replacement 7970M for my P370EM" and stuff. If they were all BGA, they'd all have needed a new notebook RIGHT NOW. And while what $2000 got them at the time can be had for $1200 right now, a simple $450 970M or $250 CPU upgrade is far far far cheaper than a new laptop entirely. Especially if all their old gear works well enough for them.

ole!!!, Spartan, TomJGX and 2 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Many places in north Scandinavia costs a Aw17r2 gaming laptop up to 4000$. Not many people buy a laptop like this every second year. To expensive....

D2 Ultima likes this.
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    1500usd shipping cost?

7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    TBoneSan, Cass-Olé, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thank you, Brother @Ethrem. +5 rep

Brother @Papusan here is a good place for our elitist BGA hate crimes to thrive. :vbbiggrin:

TomJGX, TBoneSan, Cass-Olé and 4 others like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Thank you bro Fox.
    A place we can discuss BGABooks, their limitations and rank the most disgusting model. Probably not so hard:D

Edit. @Ethrem Could you change the thread title to *BGA and their limitations vs. LGA* ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  10. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BGA Love Crimes thrive also

Meet Public Enemy #1: ACER Predator 21x
    Nobody owns this yet, therefore no one's feelings or butt can get hurt, much
    [​IMG]
    Size Matters
    [​IMG]
    BGA Matters
    [​IMG]
    undeniable sex appeal?
    now picture complementary 17 / 18 models
    ooh la la?
    or, what'd ya expect ... it's from BGACER

Available 2017 with soldered Kabylake & 1080s

Random ACER Rep Q & A​
    Will people be able to upgrade the graphics over time?
    I've been looking at the market, & upgradeable graphics in laptops has been planned for a while but there's nothing like that now
    What components can you pop in and out?
    The RAM & the storage. In terms of GPU or CPU, that's not something that's possible as they're always soldered on
    What type of gamer will buy the P21 X?
    ... people who won't want to upgrade for a while ...
    What scope is there for overclocking P21 X?
    Because it's a laptop we have to be a little conservative in this regard, as we don't want it to catch fire. Our Predator Sense software offers two levels of overclocking: normal & 'extreme'. At the higher setting we tune the laptop to push it to its limits without blowing it up
    _________________​
    I've posted this Q & A elsewhere & already picked what the Rep said apart in my mind, & yes found something disturbing with each (lame) answer, I still do; who would like to paint for us what's wrong with the above picture ...
    • ~$6000 Silicon GPU/GPU Motherboard Lottery
    • pro? it won't get soldered Skylake!
    • con? Kaby but launches late into Pascal
    (I thought it was bad enough, the consumer implications of Dellware launching their soldered Skylake + 1080 in November)

I'm still amazed that Clevo placed a 130watt LGA 4960x into the P570WM: that's like 6700k + 6820HK in the same space. P21x is so large it implies Skylake-eXtreme will have ample room in there someday, to say nothing of Kaby 7700k here shortly

Dream Scenario: you, potential customer, skip their BGA Kaby, avoid this $6000 disposable, vote no with your wallet. You, ACER, launch a mid-late 2017 140watt Skylake-X model (à la Hotwell-E > Bwell-E | Sky-X > ?) rocking MSI / Clevo MXM 1080Tis with the promise of 1180s & beyond

Nightmare Scenario: soldered Kaby + late-issue 1080s = one-hit wonder

ACER: P21x as you've imagined it is the poster child for a dead-end product as I imagine it, the worst kind of Jailienware I've ever seen. No thankyou, your product lost all its sex appeal before it even came to market. I'm a pretend this thing never happened & encourage others to ignore it as well, starting right now. I'll revisit the discussion when the 140watt 6/8/10 cores launch anew next year to see what you did or didn't do with this cavernous interior; by then you'll have had another year of 'looking into the market', where I hope you look a little harder next time, since cpus / gpus aren't 'always' soldered on, not unless companies like yours insist they are. Since you insist they are, I imagine another dream scenario where P21x gets one production run, fails, & your employees & other companies in general know not to pull a stunt like this again
    MSRP
    ~$340.00 | $568.00 | $378.00
    LGA's cheaper than BGA, overclocks better too, but we know that; however, who won & lost in the price-to-performance war was a hot-topic last year as it is equally this year. BGA makes no sense in an 18 & it costs more: what is wrong with this picture

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    ole!!!, Papusan, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.