BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    All hardcore power enthusiasts.... THIS ↓↓↓↓↓↓ IS WHAT EVERY SINGLE ODM/OEM SHOULD DO... YESTERDAY!! GIVE US FULLY UPGRADEABLE LAPTOPS IN ANY FORM OR SHAPE!! They forgot the wifi, Dang LOL.
    I love this picture. Pictures can tell more than words. I really needed to say this:D Sorry my english, but I think you all understand what I meant:p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    @Papusan - Yes, I agree. It would be nice if BGA were limited to ultra-compact niche of cell phones up to waaahfer thin 13" books.

I think you and @Mr. Fox have made the point clearly - anything where the CPU carries a significant cost should have that CPU in a socket. When CPUs are dirt cheap and have low variability in performance and very long life spans I guess it doesn't matter.

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Props in order to acknowledge pure facts. + rep

FredSRichardson likes this.
  4. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    Thanks! The enthusiast bug is catching =)

Papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    The new AW Echobooks models.... First soldered processor and soldered gpu. Now with soldered fans on the heatsink. What next? Soldered RAM, soldered wifi and the ice on the cake... The SSD's?:rolleyes: Someone who talked about ease of maintenance of JOKEBOOK's? Perhaps the chassis finally becomes glued together into a single piece?
    upload_2017-1-11_3-2-24.png

Edit: A glimpse into the future? NOOOO:tears:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155...ptops-we-cant-wait-to-use-in-2017.html#slide1 One word... Tragic!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    TomJGX and hmscott like this.
  6. FredSRichardson

Reputations:
    That is truely horrifying... I do have the hope that reason will kick in again. ;)

How do the economics work out? Yes, the business class Dell users push a lot of the trend given the market share. At some point won't the sub-standard BGA processors have trouble running WinX/Browser/MSWORD all that well while desktops plow ahead? Or will MS be forced to optimize their software to run on low performance processors? How are the economics going work out?

I think cellphones go for around $600 new so tossing a bad mobo is probably not that expensive given the number of units sold and all.

A higher performing $1000+ BGA book has a much more expensive mobo with fewer units sold. I would think they would want to be able to replace the CPU....

7. darkarn

darkarn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And this is why I will be holding onto my NP8170 a bit longer I guess

One can only hope...

ole!!! likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Micro$haft already optimize their software to run on low performance processors:no: The new pastel colored tile toy OS from the Redmond Morons is soon destroyed for desktops @hmscott:rolleyes: https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-laptops-in-2017-could-act-and-feel-more-like-a-phone/

hmscott likes this.
  9. bradleyjb

bradleyjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many thin and light purchasers would beg to differ - I'm not sure why it would be "nice". I completely understand @Mr. Fox being annoyed at the lack of options for his purposes, but as someone pointed out before, some of us like thin and lights for our purposes. You can see I have a Razer, that I mostly use for work instead of the crappy Dell/HP that they gave me. I had a P650RS for a week before I sent it back and got another Razer. Wasnt too heavy, I just didnt like the dimensions after having had a Razer for two years already (the P650RS is a great laptop BTW). That extra half inch thickness made a huge difference for me, not to mention being an inch longer. I also have a P870DM3, coming from an M18X that I had upgraded before as well. Each serves it's purpose and is great for what I need it for (which is work, games, and the occasional benchmark). If I had a good excuse I would get a Razer Blade Pro too - but I cant justify that since I have the P870DM3 and the RBP one year warranty is ridiculous to me (and I wish the RBP had the 6820HK in there). But I'm super curious - wish I could check one out in person. For all it's faults, it is an interesting piece of technology, but if Razer wont stand by it, I wont spend $4K on it.

I dont think it takes much to run MS Office. Ive seen the crappy laptops *and* desktops at work, not to mention surface pros, etc. run Office just fine. I think unless you are a power Excel user, not a lot is required to run office. Also, I think many corporations lease computers, so they dont really care about replacing parts. When we have hardware issues (sometimes even software), we replace the entire laptop as part of the leasing deal is to have a stash available.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    apple, where everything is soldered onto mobo, ssd/ram etc. people would start to realize how dumb it is when you are FORCED to buy additional product from apple an external back up simply because SSD is soldered to motherboard and you can't take it out. not to mention crapple purposely uses different format on their storage device so you must buy their pre formated devices and use their OS LOLOLOL.

thinking that CPU/GPU soldered isn't as bad cause its not a storage device, well i think it's worse, cause I can backup my files just fine but a cherry chip is almost impossible to find.

also what happened at juliant? he sticked to AW and went full BGA mode. how can soldering fan to heatsink be ok? last time i seen this is in an old HP/lenovo laptop thats impossible to disassemble, must take out the mobo to access anything.

that feel man, we know

dayum son you'd want a 6820hk over 6700k in p870dm? pls state your reason cause no matter which way i see it, just doesn't make sense other than weight and thickness by negligible margin.

going BGA is fine if warranty is priced well and warranty covers you by desoldering the cherry cpu/gpu chip + memory then resolder them back onto a new mobo, for up to 10 yrs. otherwise no thanks BGA.

TBoneSan, darkarn and Papusan like this.