BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Linus loved the concept so.....

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Totally fair to stand behind an ethos you want to with your own money :)

3. Papusan

Reputations:
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It just needs a full H series processor with the upcoming integrated thunderbolt in the CPU and hopefully that will help with external GPUs to get as modular as possible.

5. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope Framework will succeed in developing an an ecosystem around it that will attract third party OEMs supplying upgradable parts. Look at what happened to the LG G5 phone in 2016, or the dumpster fire that is Dellienware Area-51M. 'Upgradable' yes, but so damn expensive (and limited) it defeats the point.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Any GPU upgrade path is not going to be cheap at the moment, even with external, though things are finally more in stock over here, just at the inflated prices.

7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Tell us how you really feel. ;)

Honestly as much as I think Linus can be a bit too full of himself most days, he is a man with a large follower base. And if frame work is going to survive they need someone like him backing them up. This honestly would be a great option to have. Instead of having to worry about replacing a whole laptop you can just upgrade what you need. But, I’ll definitely wait to see a V.2 release and see what kind of involvement Linus has on the company.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Dell try fishing in the same muddy water. How can this be a success when their previous modular flagship Area-51m failed before birth? And why think this will works when you know you can't even upgrade their desktops due sick proprietary design and cheapo solutions?

Dell announced a modular laptop concept, Project Luna

GPU Upgrade www.dell.com/community/Alienware/GPU-Upgrade

upload_2021-12-20_1-26-47.png

Why come with this questions afterwards? Of course the OEM can do whatever they want as long the buyers buy their soldered on junk with closed eyes. Or are they blind from the birth? @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix @Spartan@HIDevolution @jclausius +++

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    Rei Fukai, Ashtrix, Clamibot and 4 others like this.
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It's likely to be quite some time before Dell has any reason to become prosumer. Covid wrecked a lot of logistics with its hysteria, justified or otherwise.

I still have 3-4 month lead times on enterprise level purchase orders and the company I work for is one of maybe a dozen authorized "premier partners" to which anyone outside of that they don't even humor the conversation for.

To me at least, it means they can ride that Covid wave for quite some time. If anything my uninformed anecdotal perspective expects Dell to make more effort for more streamline which I believe would mean less consumer focused products.

electrosoft, Vasudev and raz8020 like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lunatic approach to lock out 3rd party repairs and also customize 3rd party community designs. Its better to invest in Framework company and devise an open model or design which is serviceable easily by end users.

raz8020, Ashtrix and Clamibot like this.