BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks @Papusan for informing us about it.
    Now i understand why dell is always offerirng me a new laptop under warranty instead of repairing it. It's not for good gesture. It's simply because they do not have the parts for my 2 to 3 year old system.
    In fact they simply have no other choice.
    Isn't there a law against such bad practice?

nr_clark and Papusan like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell claiming they have spareparts 5 years forwards. But usually only for places they don't want offer you an refurbished machine. All parts being sent back and forth to those places. Have seen people have to accept +5 repairs and they still won't get replacement machine for the dud that is in "never ending" repair. With BGA its easy... Put in a refurbished MB and hope for the best. If it don't work out then try a new MB that is repaired in-house. The Ugly truth about BGA cancer!

Edit.
    [​IMG]

Dell refuse to swap in new motherboards. They re-use the old one who they think works.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  3. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Damn that sucks - must cost them an arm and a leg, too.

The funny thing is that Dell would have the resources to do a lot better than that if they planned things in a proper way but then their jokebooks would not have this great performance and benchmarks in the beginning that later in life kill them due to running crazy hot all of the time.

Papusan likes this.
  4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why would you expect anything different from any OEM making BGA trash. I keep harping on cost, but that truly is becoming an important factor in deciding how much to spend on a laptop. Customers should have no illusion that the vendor will provide ongoing parts and support beyond the bare minimum amount of time associated with normal wear and tear. The model is charge a lot up front, and expect the customer to replace the whole system as soon as possible.

1610ftw likes this.
  5. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Pride of ownership is not quite the same with disposable trash so most users here still hope for something different.

6. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The thing is, I don't know anyone who would just want to outright replace their system if something went wrong with it. Even my non-technical friends would rather have someone repair it for them than buy a new machine.

It's generally more cost effective to fix stuff to keep it going for an extra few years than to buy a new machine. I doubt the masses are happy with the throwaway mentality that is being shoved down their throats, because this group is very sensitive to pricing.

It could be that my friend group is out of touch with what most consumers really think, but this is what I see. My friend group is pretty diverse, so I'd like to think I have a good idea on how many different types of people think.

1610ftw likes this.
  7. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is the key point. If it's repairable. Soldered components are not repairable. Inverted motherboards with cheap, soft screws are not meant to be handled except by knowledgeable staff. If GPU chip fails but it happens to be soldered. A $3k+ laptop that has a heat sink that requires dremel or other physical modification. A $1k laptop with a $200+ repair bill starts becoming less palatable. The list goes on. Enthusiasts have the capability to rebuilding their systems. You see it everywhere on this forum. Some people like me are enthusiast wannabes. I have no interest in ripping wires while disconnecting the battery; stripping screws and struggling to recover.

Consumers need to be realistic in their purchases and expectations for how long to keep them. I had a hybrid car. The entire time I owned the car I was concerned over replacing the $7k battery. You can either plan ahead and save up to replace the battery; you can get rid of the car before the battery becomes more likely to fail; or you can avoid the purchase altogether.

Clamibot likes this.
  8. 1610ftw

Reputations:

People do not like to throw things away but what usually happens is that manufacturers like Apple or Dell make them feel better by offering an "upgrade" so that they can save face while parting with their defective everything-soldered BGA-book. Apple and Dell then do their part to create more e-waste by throwing it away after the trade-in.

Clamibot likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Way worse than say a car trade in.

It's like these mining GPUs.

1610ftw likes this.
  10. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why'd 17.3" became the standard for large laptops rather than 24"? That size should be able to put full size dimms, larger vrms, larger gpu pcbs too, ever larger heatsinks and more storage devices. Also support for real ram oc? Seems very limited on sodimms?