BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Yep we don't need another Apple or incase of Dell Depple doing that trick.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great find again @Papusan.
    They also should list as: «NOT FOR SALE» all their computers.
    I ask.....will they listen?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    raz8020, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A certain fruit company is already leading by example, true innovation :p

4. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Their practicies are sickening and
    That is a VERY good find and I have sent this to two people I know who may be susceptible to buying some of their crap again.

Dell would be able to do it all and do it right with their resources and instead it is just empty promises, hollow marketing slogans and unforgivable deceptions on so many levels.
    I have more respect for companies who just straight up sell their turdbooks / locked in crap without always pretending to be something they aren't.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    With PCI-E I could maybe see a modular basis if people got together and agreed on standards for things like slot in boards.

It would take people really thinking about life cycle implications of products and wanting them to last longer.

1610ftw likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean the AW customers is epic. They seems to struggle hard to know what they buy:) p45e (R4 M17) Replacing the Wifi Card

This is damn epic... "I can't seem to find the Wifi Card inside the laptop and when I look up any manuals on alienware they give me the wrong laptop". Why not just buy Dell's G series gamingbooks? Not so fancy design, cheaper and you get ram slots and you can even upgrade/replace the wifi card.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    etern4l likes this.
  7. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Nothing spells cool quite as much as having to resort to an external Wifi solution when the internal soldered one goes belly up :D

If one has to get something from Dell the G series looks better but honestly after destroying the great Alienware brand I would rather not give Dell my money any more and go elsewhere.

Clamibot, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I remember the old celeron machine I upgraded now maybe a decade ago to a whopping 700Mhz pentium 3, took to 192mb of ram from 64mb, 80GB 7200rpm HDD from an 8GB 4000rpm unit. Put in a hardware accelerated PCMCIA sound blaster card and took out the 56k modem card and replaced it with a 54g WiFi card and routed the antenna in the chassis. Put in a dvd reader instead of the original CDROM.

Went from Windows 98 to XP.

Converted ewaste into a portable dvd player.

Papusan likes this.
  9. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    That's what I'm talking about. By contrast I love the MSI GT75 chassis to death after falling in love with the magnificent keyboard and also the whole cooling / fan control concept that I think is excellent and bios modifications are available, too. Overal a very nice package if one can live with a bit more weight and volume than the average DTR. But now come the bummers:

I would have liked to upgrade to an 8 core processor but no way as it is BGA - chance of successfully pulling off an upgrade to a 9880H or 9980HK are next to zero and would most probably result in a motherboard destruction or incompatibility of the hardware even if I would be able to find somebody who manages to replace the CPU. If it was a P870 I could go all the way up to a 9900k for that mainboard chipset, with the GT75 I am stuck with the 6 core 8750H in this one. It also is one of the first laptops with a chipset that supports 128 GB of memory but guess what: MSI does not think that this is really necessary so there is no new bios to enable that, only the successor gets that.

It is still a very nice laptop and I now use it in a place where 6 cores and up to 64 GB memory will be more than enough but with better upgradability I could have kept it as my main laptop and my recent purchase of the X170KM-G would not have been necessary.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  10. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, Dell won't give at the doors. Here is a new one but list as #TO PURCHASE FROM NOT-DELL#. And remember Alienware don't offer upgradable hardware anymore (everything BGA). How easy will it be to get a NEW motherboard from Dell?:) And where on Dell's site can you find the parts to upgrade your "worlds most upgradeable" laptop? Was it meant as a Joke?
    upload_2021-4-7_1-4-6.png

Another one: Alienware 15 r3 heat sink replacement

I think Dell prefer sell their parts to their partners instead https://www.parts-people.com/
    upload_2021-4-7_1-10-53.png

Dell OEM Replacement Parts
    We have been specializing in Dell Laptop parts and Dell laptop repair services more than 18 years. Parts-People.com has become the leading supplier of Dell laptop and tablet parts for consumers, businesses, government agencies, computer repair shops, school districts, and corporate firms.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Mr. Fox and Normimb like this.