BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's still early days on that, Intel has held back the X86 market for some time so we will see how things go.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Intel will with the time offer Hybrid CPU's with big.SMALL cores Cpu design not much different than those you find incorporated on smartphones. Intel's coming High performance Intel desktop processors will be built from phone processors, LOOL

Yeah, the future looks green and the target is power effiency. Not what you hoped for if you prefer real performance increase. But the future looks great for Jokebooks running on battery.

Here's Everything We Know About The Next-Gen Alder Lake CPU Family
    The Alder Lake CPUs are not only going to be the first desktop processor family to feature a 10nm process node but would also feature a new design methodology. From what we know so far, Intel plans to include a mix of CPU cores that are based on different IPs. The Alder Lake CPUs will come with standard high-performance 'Cove' cores and smaller yet efficient 'Atom' cores. This big.SMALL design methodology has been incorporated on smartphones for a while now but Alder Lake will be the first time we see it in action in the high-performance segment.

And I'm quite sure Dell also this time will jump on it and destroy the performance with their proprietary DEll Dynamic Power Policy. Jokebooks is here to stay.

Intel 10nm Alder Lake-S 16 Core & 24 Thread Desktop CPU Spotted, Early Engineering Sample Clocked at 1.4 GHz
    Intel is already on it. Similar tech. Desktop processors made same way as phone processors.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-alder-lake-s-16-core-and-24-thread-cpu-appears-on-geekbench

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Ashtrix and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I keep reading this thread. Things are getting worse and worse. However, there is the EU right to repair law coming in which should force manufacturers to abandon the soldered everything policy.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I'd think it would push them towards it.

Papusan likes this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's gonna be hard when future EU legislation will specifically target laptop designs and specify that you can't solder everything on to the motherboard. I only had limited access to the drafts being prepared, but that's pretty much what they want to do.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2019/640158/EPRS_BRI(2019)640158_EN.pdf

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...-repair-rules-just-took-another-step-forward/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It would be cool if Intel went back to a socket for the 45W parts....

Blacky and Papusan like this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But muh thin-and-light...

jc_denton and Papusan like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That's what the 15W and 25W chips are for ;)

9. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    I think the ultra thin laptop market is going to have an upper bound on the price. I mean with no (or limited) reparable, replaceable or upgradeable components you can't justify sinking that much money into the system. This has already happened with cell phones and frankly those laptops are going to look a lot glorified cell phones soon...

It's also hard for me to imagine that there won't continue to be a significant number of people that still want more compute power in their laptop. Pushing the cell phone model doesn't really work with this even if you can fool some people for a few purchase cycles - in the long term it really doesn't work unless high performance computing becomes really cheap.

10. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    good luck with team intel. asia is well established in single digit nm already.