BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, Dellienware have clearly bet on ignorance, and may have scored a few initial points, perhaps even made some extra bucks, but will it be worth it long term? As we know, attempting to exploit ignorance typically only gets you so far, and hopefully this will be the case here too, unless they course-correct.. Eventually, the word will spread further and further, the burned people won't be fooled twice, and the brand will take some serious damage.

Ashtrix, Papusan and raz8020 like this.
  2. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Look up secret shopper on Linus's you tube channel the recent one. Gone are the days of Alienware team helping you decide on your system or decent tech support, it's now upsell upsell upsell, with tech support to follow suite it would seem.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

raz8020, Rei Fukai, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  3. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s surprising that HP are one of the better ones lol. Who would have thought they genuinely care to give you the best value product. I can’t vouch for their quality though, dell (not alienware) is known to have better quality parts than HP. From the years I’ve been working in repair shops I can tell you I get way more hp’s than dell’s that need a new power supply or motherboard.

The amount the dell employee mentioned financing my god it was a nightmare lol and added the antivirus aswell as the warranty even though it was clearly stated it wasn’t needed. Dell really have gone downhill...

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    HP is generally horrible. Some of their business class machines are well made, but their consumer products are rubbish. And, they are severe offenders at bloat with buggy software. I put them in the same class as Lenovo... the digital equivalent of a bologna sandwich served on moldy white bread with extra mayo, but no cheese, lettuce, or tomato. Better than starving, but not particularly good.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    raz8020, Ashtrix, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I agree, the business class machines are well made but I’d still class them as unreliable. Laptop wise they have got much better but need to fix the cpu + gpu unified heatsink combo they put in high end omen laptops as the cpu is throttled to oblivion once the gpu kicks in.

I’d say Acer is on the come up, yeah in the beginning when they started making desktops they were straight garbage, unreliable motherboards and hard drives that constantly failed. I have genuinely seen them improve on quality in these last few years where I would, dare say, even recommend them for people who want a basic low end/ mid tier system. I’ve seen a few Acer’s clogged with dust, all intakes chocked and the machine is still chugging along just fine, that’s when you know it’s quality just like some old school dells :D

Can’t comment on high end as I’ve never tried it. Definitely can’t be worse than Lenovo lol.

raz8020, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HP consumer has been making a killing in 2020 tbh. The Omen 15 is great, and the Envy 15 is amazing, with dual vapor chambers for the CPU and GPU and even a PCH heatsink.

raz8020 likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Interesting. I think the Omen 15 is a joke. The one I had access to for a few days was pretty pathetic. Nice on the outside, poorly made on the inside. Makes my TongFang seem like a high-end product in comparison.

raz8020, Rei Fukai, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yeah my omen was a pain in the ass to get into the screws specifically were the nightmare to undo. I don’t know what it was either from factory they tightened them like crazy or my screw driver is becoming useless. Either way it wasn’t easy to open unlike a clevo or msi laptop for example.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've had fun with some of their old workstation designs (2nd gen) and tearing them apart and franken machining them.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The ZBook 15 that I had for a while was built like a brick house. It had a 4900MQ and an anemic K1100M Quadro MXM Type A GPU. The cooling system on it was atrociously bad, but the dead-end MXM A GPU was ultimately what abbreviated its usefulness. I gave it to my oldest son as a replacement for his antique Dell Inspiron crackerbox with a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. While it was no longer of any value to me, it was a pretty massive upgrade for him.