BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Absolutely. But sometimes is so hard to resist the urge of not being on top with the highest clock. Personally I always aim for the best stable overclock, don't care about the highest clock.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Not for the average user. But 40-50W to a bencher is
    Yup, 200W TDP and clock block 4.0, just in case you mange to beat nVidias power limits.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Man I don't know how much more of this crap I can put up with. Here's to hoping the X170 will be the desktop killer we want, but if there isn't any laptop equipped with an Ampere GPU worth buying
    (once they come out that is), I may just say screw it and build myself an ultraportable battery powered gaming desktop.

If I do, I'll definitely be showing off that setup in a post in the desktop hardware section with instructions and a parts list so you guys can escape from the madness with me.

jc_denton likes this.
  4. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    It won't be a desktop killer, I can spare you that thought immediately. It will still be a formidable DTR, but there is just no way to compete with desktop when nVidia stacks the deck against us from the start.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you absolutely need an Jokebook. Here is a few choices to avoid support lackluster tech. Pick your poison and be happy you don't help the notebook manufacturers to continue the sick trend. Another option is continue to use your phone for web, gaming or emails. The choice is yours @Mr. Fox @Ashtrix +++

[​IMG]
    The best cheap laptops for $350 or less in 2020 zdnet.com | Today

Pick of the best $350-or-less budget laptops and convertibles. $350 is pricey and on the upper side but a hell lot better than go over the $500 target all should avoid.

Not everyone wants to pay thousands of dollars for a new laptop jokebook.

Some are happy with cheap and cheerful systems that just get the job done without bells and whistles or fancy branding. Here are a handful of Windows 10 laptops, all priced under $320, and are perfect for most day-to-day tasks... Why pay more for same awful tech?

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm going under 1500$. Not spending more than 3000$.
    Cheaper laptops have upgradeable RAM DIMMs and SSDs.

Papusan likes this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Depends what you mean by compete. You can get a similar game experience.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As long people don't know what they buy, nothing will really change. Will be only worse bro Blacky. Sad isn't it? Why buy and ask afterwards? Because the thin design is so damn tasty?
    upload_2020-11-8_4-35-18.png

Alienware M15 R3 the soldered Tragedy

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Vasudev, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The stupidity of the average person is shocking. We see lots of examples of it. It is really sad, but nothing really surprises me anymore. If there were any more opportunities for shaking my head it would probably appear as though I had Parkinson's Disease because it would be nonstop.

Ashtrix, raz8020, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We help a lot of people on Reddit using noteb.com and it is not uncommon to see people thinking they can upgrade their laptop. However, most people do not care if they can upgrade or not as they are too scared to open their laptop even for basic maintenance. For many people even replacing their thermal paste seems scary. People usually want laptops that just work and that's it. There are a few who indeed think about upgrading and we have to tell them they cannot. Usually, it is people who buy very expensive systems form Ryzen or Alienware who think that the high price somehow means they are getting a much better machine.

However, I would like to mention that gamers usually are more willing to tinker with their devices than other consumer groups.

I fear that soon most gaming laptop will come with soldered RAM. Right now in the budget gaming segment, many laptops come with 8GB of RAM single-channel, and as we noticed from our reviews, single-channel RAM gives a severe performance penalty in games. So we noticed that when people learn that dual-channel helps a lot in recent titles, many are willing to buy another 8GB of RAM and just add it in, it's simpler than replacing the thermal paste. But I am fairly certain such behaviour is hurting laptop sales, especially in the budget segment. Thus soon, I think it will become standard in gaming laptops for the RAM to be soldered. I mean it's already soldered in most ultrabooks, so it's just a logical step to become soldered in gaming laptops.

Indeed. I wouldn't see stupidity. Many people are not that stupid, just uninformed and too lazy to get informed. We learned this very well after years of dealing with people through noteb.com . Hell, even our website is too advanced for most users and we need to do some UI changes to help the average joe make his pick.

I stand by what I said some time ago:
    There is undoubtedly a market for upgradable laptops, with CPU, RAM, GPU and DISPLAY all easily upgradeable. I know the P7xx series from Clevo is upgradable, but those laptops are just too big and bulky to carry around. Not everyone needs that extra performance. Most people need a laptop, not a portable desktop. I mean, given the limited portability of the P7xx series, I would rather build a desktop, which I did.

I would argue that Clevo should make a truly portable, upgradeable laptop. Like I said before, use 65W TDP desktop processors from Intel or 65W castrated AMD processors, forget about anything above that, there is the P series for that. And to this laptop add a standard MXM video card. Again we don't need 100W+ MXM behemoths. A 75W standard MXM card is more than enough for most gaming needs, especially if it can be upgraded every 2 years. The limited TDP will make for a reduced cooling system, smaller power adapter and possibly longer battery life, which will make the laptop... well portable and usable as a laptop.

Market this as the world only 100% upgradeable gaming laptop and I am fairly certain many people will buy it. With a bit of marketing, it might be a big hit.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Rei Fukai, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 3 others like this.