BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The 3080 is rumored to be 320w hence the Power connector change. I expect Mobile graphics will continue max out at 200w. Remember notebooks being thinner and slimmer and Nvidia want that you change notebooks as you change underwear(increased TGP means you can have it longer due better performance). Cap TGP is their best way to force you over on next before time.
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...cs-card-allegedly-20-faster-than-rtx-2080-ti/

The new 12 pin power connector is to feed 320W TGP. Probably needed due the improved 10 nm nodes. Aka fake 8nm:D With same lower TGP as for Turing cards I think Nvidia would struggle hard vs. Big Navi.

More evidence points towards AMD's RDNA2 Big Navi superiority over Nvidia's high-end Ampere RTX 3000 GPUs

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    jc_denton and raz8020 like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well if you want a stock 320W TDP in a notebook it's certainly going to be a true brick.

Falkentyne and raz8020 like this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    With 320w for desktops and notebooks continue max out at 200w we will see even worse performance gap vs desktop than with Turing gen graphics. Back to old days with m branded graphics but with a second tier with even worse option (Max-Q). This is tomorrow’s reality. All those who hoped for more equal performance from notebooks vs desktops may finally see the paint on the wall!:D

Push for even thinner notebook design and we will soon see half the TGP (150w) for Max-P vs true desktop cards. Dell Alienware is already there with their brand new m17 R3. Yeah, it’s weird people couldn’t see this mess would come before or later.

Or is near 1/3 of rated desktop cards TGP for Max-Q tempting?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is really sad. I remember everyone being excited for the Pascal cards because it finally closed the performance gap between laptops and desktops.

Sigh, now they want to reopen the gap. What happened to progress? This is a regression!

Eclipse251, raz8020 and etern4l like this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is what it is. There is no such thing as a true desktop replacement. There are more or less powerful laptops. The question is: bearing in mind diminishing returns on excess power, will the new laptop chips be capable enough to take care of broadly understood business for the majority of their owners. Most likely so.

jc_denton and Dr. AMK like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Again this depends on the voltage curve. The 8nm chips could be quite efficient when not going in full.

Dr. AMK and etern4l like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, and we know there is enough Voltage to run well above 200w for last years 2080 Max-P. But the cards is capped at 200w and 2100 on the core. The performance gap between desktop cards vs those in notebooks will continue grow with Ampere. 200 vs 215/225 will now be 200 vs. 320 or 60% crippled

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    In pure power terms maybe but you can't just add 60% on in a single generation for power. You would be looking at something the size of the P570Wm for what is in real terms not that much of a jump in performance remembering and I think especially for these chips you get massively diminishing returns as you start reaching those desktop clocks.

There are rumours that the card will happily eat over 400W.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    The old P870 could eat 400w power. What we now see is degraded downward performance vs. previous years notebooks (graphics performance). 980 Mobile was on par with 980 desktop cards. As I said... Once again can wee see M branded cards come back in Max-P and Max-Q design. See, double up now and one stap back. Not a real desktop replacement on par with desktop performance people hoped for. This is the real facts bro Meaker.

And I'm sure bro @fox is with me on this. We saw the direction come when Nvidia started with Max-Q. Now can wee also see Max-P following the same paths.

Ashtrix, jc_denton, Clamibot and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think it is a typo and Max-P/Q was meant to be Lax-P/Q. It would be more accurate. Being charged more money for less shouldn't be viewed favorably by anyone, but it is absolutely the direction things are going. The race to find the bottom is accelerating. It will be interesting to watch to see how much more tech garbage consumers are going to be willing to put up with. If it didn't adversely affect everyone it would be humorous to behold the stupidity. The fact that it does affect everyone is tragic. I am unable to identify anything (no, not even one thing) about notebook computing today that is compelling or exciting. Nobody sells a product that I would feel any level of happiness or excitement about purchasing for myself and that is extraordinarily tragic... and unprecedented.

Lax Synonyms: Adjective
    • careless
    • derelict,
    • disregardful,
    • lazy,
    • neglectful,
    • neglecting,
    • negligent,
    • remiss,
    • slack

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020