BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Aroc This is why I have a very nice Corsair K63 Wireless SE TKL Mechanical Keyboard. :)

DaMafiaGamer and Arrrrbol like this.
  2. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I will add my recommendation to this, I love my K63. Bought it when I had only a tiny roll desk and needed to cram a kb and mouse into a small space, now that I have a "proper" office desk with loads of room I haven't felt the need to get something else.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Razers engineers didn't go as far as Frank Azor and his engineers this time. They designed it's new 17 inches Jokebook almost equal thin as the new soldered King Alienware m17 r2 but could still use socketed Ram and Wifi:eek: Aka not the fully Apple way as the new Alienware's. Easy seeing who is the Bell sheep for the Jokes.
    [​IMG]

He has asked for forgiveness. And as you know, I'm an very decent/honest old man... I will give him partly forgiveness for his sin:) I hope for hims sake... That he one day will see the light (or just waking up from the soldered nightmare) and see what he really lost and will then crawling back to the safe LGA harbor. I have the trust in people, brother Prema. I really have. See... bro @Aroc still have his Tornado :) I repped him for that.
    upload_2019-6-22_4-15-45.png

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    jclausius, Rei Fukai, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  4. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Interesting thermal design on that one too.

5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So I gave into the dark side and bought a turdbook N850EJ (8750H/1050) in great nick for a really cheap price second hand for the notorious notebook-killing missus.

Mild (7zip) benchmark => 94C load under 30W average prolonged use, pretty obvious it was a temperature dependent premature power throttle to avoid thermal throttle.

The factory setup was woeful.

Put liquid metal on it => throttling 94C idle. Omgwtfbbq.

Bent the arms on the heatsink (tripod :vomit:) for more pressure and moved a wad of foam pushing the radiator upwards => 73C load under 70W prolonged use, constant 4.1Ghz. That's at stock voltage too, pre-undervolt.

jclausius, jaybee83 and Papusan like this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    This thread:

Puts low-viscosity liquid metallic thermal interface material on a low-pressure thermal plate

high temperatures ensue

surprised Pikachu

I mean, obviously. On any notebook that moves around, I wouldn't be using liquid metal. It's too runny, as is TG Kryonaut. Use something with a higher viscosity and yet a higher thermal transfer rate than normal thermal pastes. Laptop repasting 101.

Also, calling a thin-and-light a 'joke book' (seriously? Can it get any less mature than that?) is like calling a Prius a crappy car compared to a Veyron.

They're in totally different leagues.

4W4K3 and jaybee83 like this.
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had a budget in mind and bought the best I could find within it for the user, which isn't going to be me. It feels cheap and plasticky and light and wobbles and flexes all over the place. It looks almost identical to the N950TP I set up last year, but that felt a lot more solid (except for similar screen flex). That's why I call it a "joke". Two of the screw mounts for the bottom case have broken off as though I overtightened them after only three removals. I would have racked up a hundred iterations on some of the various screws on my years old P370EM over the past couple of years of modding it without a single dethread or broken screw mount.

I have used liquid metal on everything for three years now on laptops that have been moved about without anything escaping, even from my early attempts without spill protection. You're as free to be scared by it and dissuade noobs from using it, as I am free to keep using it and risking my own hardware (with no evidence of escape ever, not even when there was obvious mounting misalignment) and reaping the noise and temperature benefits.

There was very little paste on either surface where the heatsink was in contact with the chip. That's why I didn't think contact pressure was an issue. But maybe the wads of hardened factory goop around the die were helping 'glue' the chip to the heatsink. I certainly didn't bend the heatpipes out of alignment when removing it. I also don't see how the viscosity of the TIM would make any difference once that factory TIM 'seal' was cracked, unless you're advocating the suction effect of high viscosity paste as a remedy to poor contact pressure, in which case I'd rather fix the problem than rely on a bodged solution. And in case you didn't notice, the temps were crap under load before I touched anything.

TBoneSan and Papusan like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I took a while giving it a look over too.

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    sure sure, but....have u ever seen marketing trying to sell a Prius as a "Veyron with 3L/100km gas consumption"? :D

cuz thats what today's thin n light "gaming" crapbooks are all about

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

TBoneSan likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's hard comparing to cars, because on one hand you would have the veyron and then they also offer a cheaper one with 80% of the performance that gets better gas mileage, has usable rear seats and luggage capacity. It's a bit more expensive to fix if it goes wrong.