BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You know I love Alienware and Intel.

They both have this habit of reminding me that my Ranger is still the best laptop for me every product release. Its nice when a company is willing to endorse backwards design to reinforce the forward thinking my machine had.

Guess if I get another laptop i'll just have to hope AMD has a few more offerings with Acer.

Ashtrix, jaybee83 and Vasudev like this.
  2. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Don't give them ideas. :p

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm going to be saying the same things fairly soon with my P870 I can feel it.

I've been playing with watercooling laptops for a couple of years now and am nearly finished building a fully wc laptop. It's been fun for a hobby project build but there are definitely solid reasons why they don't exist. The benefits in low temps and noise reduction are immense but very niche and the tradeoffs are significant. The main one is actually space. The headaches fitting tubes inside even the cavernous P370 chassis...

The hybrid thing with quick disconnects pumping to a big external rad is definitely the way to go. Asus had the right idea with the GX800 dock but it was just lacking in liquid and air flow to really be as effective as it could be and their tiny blocks were ineffective. Looping copper pipe along existing heatpipes with lots of soldered contact area is far more effective.

jaybee83 and Papusan like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Oh you mean like fusing the keyboard to the top deck and putting a weak key switch on it?

joluke and jaybee83 like this.
  5. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Can we maybe ban Meaker until he gets into another mood? :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Ashtrix, Falkentyne, joluke and 7 others like this.
  6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Prema has spoken, let it be so. lol

joluke, DaMafiaGamer, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  7. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maybe a circulation dock that's the size of the underside of the system. Intake fans in the middle, pulling from underneath on the bottom, water blocks above, pipes and rad fins ring the entire thing. Would be heavy but I mean you already needed a giant rolling case for the GX800 so why not just double down?

bennyg and Papusan like this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's the thing though, if it's disconnectable you arent forced to take it all with you if the tradeoff in weight is worth the performance/noise/thermals of aircooling only, which was always the focus of what I planned, if its going to be immobile or fragile then it may as well be a desktop.

But letting users decide what they want to do with their hardware is very un-BGA-like let alone for the fraction who want to mod stuff. The one time I've seen someone take to a laptop with LN2, their efforts were pointless due to Asus' locked firmware power limits. Must ensure there's no room for uses beyond the vision of the manufacturer.

Even when in the case of undervolting it would be positive for everyone involved - higher clocks and better battery for users, lower thermals and better reliability for sellers - and an app could pretty easily be written to iterate and stresstest to find the minimum and adjust for crashes or instability, it is still completely locked out even from Throttlestop et al altering registers in memory from within Windows in a lot of models.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Next we can put high voltage lines on adjacent pins on a display connector lol.

Anyway docking solutions always have some form of cost which makes selling a 2060 + dock much more difficult than a 2070 inbuilt but no special connectivity.

10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, you’ve reminded me to NEVER buy another MacBook after crAPPLE pulled that **** :D

hmscott, joluke and Papusan like this.