BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It's already here brother Falkentyne. It's confirmed. Frank Azor and Alienware went for soldered Wifi in their newest Alienware gamingbooks:D On top used one less screw for the heatsink vs. previous gen Alienware m15. Of course Dell's engineers also used same heatsink design for the bigger brother Alienware 17m r2 https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m17-r2-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf
    upload_2019-6-14_9-9-45.png
    To reduce RMA costs (If the wifi connectors break of the soldered wifi pcb) they welded the wifi card directly on the cheaper daugther board. Not the more expencive MB. Aka to reduce damage for themself. Remember i'ts a lot cheaper replace the daughterboard vs. the whole motherboard.

As it is now.... Almost Nothing can be upgradable. Cpu, Gpu, Wifi and ram is now welded on. What's left? Solder on Storage and the Heatsink?
    The pict fits very well bro Fox. When bad wasn't enough....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Blame @Papusan for leading me here. I honestly didn't think I'd be this disappointed in a manufacturer that I'd feel the need to complain about it.

So I was excited for the upcoming Alienware M15 R2. Small enough, portable, good range of options to make it suit my needs. But, there was no information about the internals. This was off to me as they we so darn proud of themselves with the area 51m. I figured since they were matching the outside design of their bigger brother they would do the same for the inside. Well the manuals for the laptops started showing up and to my horror everything they could do to upset me they did.

So the M15 R2 and M17 R2 have soldered Ram, small batteries, soldered wifi card, and a confounded flipped motherboard?! Why in heck is the motherboard flipped? I thought alienware was an enthusiast gaming brand? So why is it that the inside is more difficult to take apart than it should be and even if you do take it apart there is almost nothing you can replace. At this point I'm surprised there are two m.2 slots that you can upgrade yourself.

And here I thought Razer was bad. . .

etern4l, Falkentyne, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Maybe the new special ssd can offset the lack of upgradeable Hardware? And maybe these new thinner Alienware models doesn’t burn up in smoke?

I hope ssd guru @tilleroftheearth can explain for us what Raid 0 ssd‘s is? I know about that you can raid all sorts of ssd’s but what is so special with this type ssd Dell advertising in this soldered Jokebook?
    388AC296-569D-44D4-B190-13E07A29CF96.png

Maybe @Ultra Male knows?

4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Noooooooo !!!!!!! AW is dead !!!!!!! UGH that's DISGUSTING.

They've shown that they don't care anymore, they just went full Apple !! nah man this is ridiculous. They've even slimmed down the heatsink, and created a more imbalance !!!!!
    Not to mention the biggest fail will be the RAM and SSD throttling while under full load. Damn AW now looks like the retarded brother that's always the last person to adapt himself. Not only are they very late (ASUS, Razor and Gigabyte) but have they completely missed the boat by soldering everything. There was an AW monkey on twitter that blamed Intel for the soldered RAM, but Razor has released 9th gen BGA chips without soldered RAM so that's bull

Heat is going to radiate throughout the whole chassis, and the fans will NOT be able to dissipate the heat from within the chassis. Six screws ? are they serious or out of their mind. 4 screws without springs are already barely enough to keep the heatsink pressure high, let alone balanced. I can see the paste dry out every 3/6 months already, requiring alot of maintenance. Not to mention the fans got alot smaller. It looks like two 3.5 cfm fans which will push almost no air over the heatsink so these things will run hot at the beginning of an benchmark, and even when the clock speeds has stabilized (obviously no boost speed offcoarse) this thing will roam 500/700 mhz under it's boost speed. the heatpipes also got thinner while sacrificing cooling capacity. Just two pipes ? seriously what are you going to cool ? a 25 watt APU ?

this line up should've been called the new alienware 15 and 17 tt edition (people would like twin turbo or something like that, while it's actually Thermal Throttle) cause that's what these machines are going to do. Not to mention the mediocre screens and the higher prices they've given these models. I mean why should i nowadays get an AW while it's the same as an surface book, or an 2-1 convertible. It does not even have anything and i think it's quite ugly to look at. These machines look like Dell G series, meaning that in a few years AW will be completely consolidated in to DELL making it easier for AZOR to ripp off people based on false marketing.

keep swiping people, you're only making it worse and worse. If i could, i would've sold my R5... already for an Clevo/kunshans/eurocom/MSI. i'm not even surpised @AW anymore, i'm just bafled that they still have the nerve to endorse themselves, while prema single handedly can whip out an BIOS/UEFI that an million dollar company cannot. I won't ever endorse or recommend AW anymore, they're not my brand.

i guess the old haydays are not for AW anymore.

etern4l, Ashtrix, TBoneSan and 5 others like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    RAID 0 of two drives stripes their storage together. so its basically like SLI with two SSDs, doubling their total available bandwidth in sequential read and write (scaling is not perfect though, so in reality u get a bit less than double the bandwidth).

Problems with RAID 0 =
    1) Zero redundancy. If one of the two drives fail, you lose ALL of the data, because you cannot read it out of the remaining drive.
    2) "Marketing Performance". Sequential bandwidth indeed is almost doubled, but the most important 4KB low QD values are actually worse in most cases when compared with single drives. So as a pure data drive (for non-important data, that is due to point 1)), RAID 0 is nice to have, but for Boot/OS, it's actually less performant than a single large SSD :p

Ashtrix, TBoneSan, Falkentyne and 3 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Dang. I who thought Dell have developed an special ssd only for this models. Raid 0 isn’t so special. Have done that several times before. False advertising?:rolleyes:

@Rei Fukai I have said this change would come long time ago. Don’t be so upset. It was doomed to come.

Ashtrix, Falkentyne, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah you're totally right, and i should've seen it coming but at the time i was all in for AW. Just seeing all the hype on Reddit for the new systems while they don't know which implications this will in the future for AW laptops makes me puke. EVERYTHING is going to be soldered lol. Too many people are falling for AW it's marketing, it's just a matter of time when their bussiness plan get's exposed. That would be the downfall for AW. No AW for me, not even the 51m R2 or anything like that.

8. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The sarcasm is strong with this one.

You know considering Frank Azor is on record to say that the M15 R2 had one Ram slot I have little faith anyone at the company knows what they're doing over there.

We've slowly been getting upgradable laptops back over the years. So Alienware to just take it all back when they not even a year ago was bragging how they wouldn't be following the thin and light trend because they make gaming laptops with max performance.

At this rate I should open a laptop company so I can finally get one that has no sacrifices.

jaybee83, Papusan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've been thinking about it for a long time to do what an HidEvolution Does. The legal side is the hardest part, but marketing can be done quite easily by letting the right people in the industry know that there is a new player in the field. also there would be some capital needed for the creation of the mobo. i think sourcing an LGA/PGA shouldn't be hard but that's if you can get for example a mobo manufacturer to sell to you directly.

just thinking about what type of laptop i would try to build (i would love to WC a laptop ! like Asetek with the mx18r1) and the components it would get, the thing would be an absolute beast.
    if i win the lottery, i for 100% would start my own boutiqe.

@Terreos

Terreos and Vasudev like this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Mac but runs windows natively I guess. They just need to glue the battery in now.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.