BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    naw, i dont donate LGA laptops once i buy them because they are easily to maintain for a long lifetime. if you plan to buy a $500 and if its BGA then make sure you sell it and its something popular, or have someone to pass it down to. or an older LGA laptop would be cheap, like ivy/sandybridge era which is still plenty fast.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    For a gamer it's more the GPU/cooling limits of those older systems.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    While the article is related to Apple based products, some of the newer products housing the intel i9-8950HK BGA CPU with poor cooling systems are suffering from thermal throttling as well.

I believe the article was written before Apple's announcement of a fix to the thermal mgmt system - http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07...18-macbook-pro-cpu-throttling-issues-fix.html

But still, this statement from the article holds true, "The problem, almost always, comes back to heat: there’s too much of it, and not enough space to get rid of it." Source- https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9kmkve/thinner-and-lighter-laptops-have-screwed-us-all

Nothing new or groundbreaking in this article, but it does a nice job summing up all we've discussed in this thread and throughout the forum.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    raz8020, Aroc, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    imho we all knew it was coming. the amount of capacity and size of heatsink radiator is like 1/3rd the size of our thicker laptop ontop of having crappy binned chips. it is obvious it can only run at 1/3rd of frequency or possibly less.

whats funny is, sheeple consider that it is a software issue or intel issue, not apple's problem. LMAO

Ashtrix, raz8020, Aroc and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, that is funny. I thought so as well. MacBook and Razer laptop fanbois are similar in this regard. It's all about protecting their culture even when the product sucks.

Ashtrix, raz8020, Aroc and 6 others like this.
  6. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Those people need some lessons in physics to understand what a CPU is and why it produces heat...

Ashtrix, raz8020, Aroc and 6 others like this.
  7. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wait, people are actually responding that way? That's...I don't know. Something.

raz8020, Aroc, TheDantee and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It certainly wouldn't hurt, but most of them are beyond redemption as this point. Once in a while someone escapes the mindset, but they are generally the exception.
    I am betting that you are being facetious. I know my surprised look is not on my face.

Aroc, jclausius, ole!!! and 2 others like this.
  9. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm being serious, who, with some knowledge of computers, would have ever expected an iMac thingy to work with i9...?

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    i9 is only a marketing name for charging more $$$. Still almost same Mobile chips as the rest of the Core i7 BGA family. The main difference is the new feature “Turbo Velocity Boost” vs the rest. They could in fact used i7 as for the previous gen unlocked Hk BGA chips. Wouldn’t do a damn difference!! But bigger numbers as you know tempting some people. How it performs doesn’t matter!!:bigconfused:

raz8020, Ashtrix, TheDantee and 5 others like this.