BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What the ****?
    BGA HK chip running stock on 4.8ghz single core performance and 4.3ghz performance on 45W TDP? Yeah no, I need to see that with my own eyes to believe that. If the I9 is actually that efficient, then everyone who bought a 8700K are being scammed by intel. So I'll refrain from believing that before I see it with my own eyes, because if everything is true, notebook I9's would be more powerful than Desktop PC's with mediocre cooling and a 8700K, since it would mean that the I9 would rather easily get to 5ghz+ on MSI systems with good cooling for instance.

2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    its known that intel will likely NOT limit their HK chip even if it shows 45w TDP spec, where as rest of their other SKUs already limited, we can be sure of this with past information skylake and kabylake mobile, both the HK doesn't have limit unless imposed by ODM/OEM which if they aren't smart enough to know HK is meant to overclock they may very well still design bios/heatsink based off the 45 limit, 95%+ will still happen.

i9 won't go to 5ghz, i'd say best with 6 cores overclock it'll be at around 4.5ghz which is still impressive due to 14nm++. heat will be the primary factor, intel needed to change that 45w to something like 60w so ODM/OEM would build a laptop based off of that.

im glad im not always "seeing believing", otherwise i'd never be able to pull the trigger on 870TM. though i did gamble a 5.2 sample from SL and this is my first time seeing how it fairs inside a laptop, a 5ghz with modded bios is definitely doable for regular consumer tasks with auto fan profile, which is pretty damn quiet. iirc you told me your standards for cpu is below 85C right? mine is below 80C so you can believe it runs cool.

3. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I am aware of the "non limit", I'm talking about the rated 45W TDP for stock 4.8ghz single and 4.3ghz multi, which would make it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to efficient to be true.
    Also, again, I've had plenty of people, including mr.fox spout nonsense how their systemsreach 5ghz and runs cool only to see when doing gaming on crysis 3 for instance seeing the CPU clock down to 4.2ghz with 88-90c. So unless you can show me in form of a gaming or other benchmark video with clockspeed and temps running, I won't believe you. That simple.

4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    no, it is true and thats just how good 14nm++ is. looking at desktop comparison you'd get an idea about mobile silicon as well. 7700k best binned chip was 5.2ghz for 8% tested chips as per SL, 8700k for 5.2 is 12% and 4% can do 5.3ghz.

this implies that going from 14nm+ to 14nm++ we see an almost +100mhz along with 2 more cores. 100mhz+ is not entirely accurate as 8% to 4% is like half the chips, but note these chips also added 2 more cores which normally mean higher voltage, and means less overclocking due to heat and voltage.

when 10nm++ come out we can probably expect 5ghz to be norm, i'd love to have a 5.4ghz chip with 8 cores running at 5.1 in a laptop

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    We all would love 5ghz stable with acceptable temps in a notebook without carrying cooling pads etc. with us. You're basicially showcasing the issue, I'm a skeptic, and without any evidence other than words or maybe a screen or two, you can't convince me. I see most users have very high temps, and those who claim that their notebook runs cool and acceptable never provide anything but words, I never get to see any videos proving their point or in mr.fox case even disproving himself. If you want to show skeptics like me that a 8700K can run at 4.9ghz on acceptable temps, then go ahead, play a game like crysis 3 for 15-20min with afterburner or HWinfo overlay and upload it on youtube, if you don't do it, then you're basicially wasting your time. I don't take words from users as evidence as long the majority says the opposite.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you're making it to be more complicated than it is, its rather simple. grab a good SL CPU for more and you can achieve more. if someone target a 4.7ghz in laptop they can go with 5ghz or 4.9ghz sample on SL for much lower cost than the top 5.2/5.3 difference of several hundred dollars.

with mobile chip theres no such option, though quality is lower a 4.5ghz should still be possible as long as heatsink and dissipation allows it. entire cooling system needs good dissipation and heat capacity with large surface area, most thin notebook will not have that, ever, its just common sense.

and honestly even at my current temp im not satisfied cause its winter time. summer time means up my temp by up to 15 degree. i am trying to add in a small fan to increase dissipation because right now capacity is good but dissipation hasnt changed much from 7700k laptop, whats improved is the CPU and heatsink surface area.

this is the part i love the most, since by standard deviation, your "majority" of people/consumers are not enthuiasts. thats why majority people are not rich, majority people are not genius, majority people are not using common sense, majority people aren't willing to learn, majority people loves to blame than to learn. i could go on, this is the way of the world and you should know that. going by what majority of people say is a mistake in cases like these, though its human nature to do that to save time so i dont blame you, we want info quick.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Instead of providing evidence, you keep talking. So as a skeptic I'll just take it as a "I'm talking straight out of my butthole". I'll assume your notebook is running like a fournace as usual, stop wasting my time with "blah blah" and come back once you actually want to provide evidence. You're wasting my, your and everyone elses time.

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    instead of looking at facts provided to you, you refuse to use your head and think. i am at a loss, talking to you makes me lose brain cells xD

9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Bla bla, furnace not hot, blabla.

10/10 would look at facts again.

Get out of here.

I like how you're so ashamed of your steaming hot furnace that you simply refuse to provide any evidence and keep on rambling. I assume you realized that your little investiment went up in flames, quite literally.

By the way, I got this packad bell notebook here with Athlon dual core, it has 20k CB points and runs on 10ghz, also on 10c at max temp.
    #OleEvidence provided.

Now everyone who is skeptical and demands evidence for my claims now will get replied with look at facts or use your head.

#Genius.

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    :) you dont have to be ashamed of being stupid lel

nice try tho :3