BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    once you have optane its limited by software and user efficiency

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Those will always be the main bottlenecks going forward :)

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    bga TDP power limit, these people are buying into their lies, silly silly consumers.

4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's people just not understanding base clock vs turbo. "Peak marketing" is nothing new and its not going anywhere. The changes Intel have made with CFL in not advertising per-core turbo will not change anything.

All the successfully entrenched evil in the world relies on a perfect circle of blameshifting:

Consumers deny responsibility for bad choices by saying retailers and manufacturers don't advertise honestly

Retailers deny responsibility saying consumers don't research their needs, so choose badly, and then complain; and they also just advertise what the manufacturer tells them to.

Manufacturers deny responsibility saying its the retailers job to interface with individual consumers and inform and help them choose the right product

Ashtrix likes this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    when theres many parties involved, usually a good consumer will need to do as much research as possible for best outcome, prepare for the worst hope for the best mindset. when multiple incompetent parties are involved, disaster bound to happen and consumer is strictly relying on luck and hoping for the best while prepared none.

however in all of this, i would say intel is the worst by limiting chip with a TDP otherwise would not honor defects or returns from OEM/ODM if they do not follow intel's specified design, which intel get to have controls over their own product. this is no longer my product, I get to do what i want, it becomes my product, intel/OEM decides what I can do with it.

imagine you bought a 18" extra large pizza with 8 slices and they tell you, you could only eat a slice per day.

6. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    In the exact same way, would you expect a car manufacturer to 100% honour the warranty on a car engine without asking any questions, if you chipped it or say increased the turbo pressure from the base level? Or is the argument that you should be able to do what you want with the CPU/engine/pizza, but if you push it to the point of failure or causing MB failure then you wouldn't specifically expect Intel to honour the warranty (directly or indirectly)?

7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the idea of pushing it to cause item damage and businesses protecting themselves stem from dishonest consumers, and of course intel's own corporate greed. intel could have done many reasonable things for consumers but choose the path of lowering product quality. things aren't so black and white so in the end business dont bother caring so much, they just want to make money, pair up with bunch of junk consumers and we have a market thats going down hill for enthusiast.

a simple example, controlling clock speed with their specified TDP. intel can easily lay out details from all angle, how consumer benefit, how OEM benefit, how intel benefit from their own changes, of course they won't do that, almost no business does except for few personally owned small business that actually cares about customer service. this is also why HID probably so amazing in this day and age they are rare/hard to come by.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    Cars with performance not in mind I would somehow understand.

But gaming laptops like Clevos are advertised like Ferrari.

9. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did they lower product quality, because (or not) of dishonest customers? The obvious indicator of this would be a higher RMA rate, which we haven't seen.

Well, the TDP has a limit and this is part of dictating the clock speed of the CPU - that's correct. But tbh I don't understand the argument - Intel CPUs have always had a TDP, which has a part in the clock speeds.

By default, smaller companies should/would give better support than much larger ones. But these smaller companies, when successful, become larger companies and then it's impossible to keep up witht he same level of support. Remember the South Park episode, where everyone hates Starbucks, but they started out as a single coffee shop which grew because of it's popularity. At some point, there is a change and you can't produce something like an Intel CPU in a small or family run company with the huge volume that the market demands ;-)

Yup, but my question still stands - would you then buy a Ferrari and expect them to honour the warranty if it was modified?

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

i wont bother going back a few yrs of changes just so i can explain my side of view, that would be too much work. lets just say intel can change the meaning of their specification and term anyway they want as they currently dominate the market.