BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, how many anti-BGA members on here use their P870/P775/P77*/P75* outside of their home, or regularly carry their laptop to and from another location?

I'm not talking about pros and cons of each form factor, or why people are pro or anti BGA. Just if anti-BGA squad use your laptops as portable devices or not.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do I count with my M570TU ? :D I use a desktop btw, but when I'm away I take my ageing lady with me.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Seldom. Right now I don't need to travel with it regularly in any sense of the word. My old m18x r2 I traveled with about once a week - even then I didn't need to. It's nice to be able to though in leisure scenarios, slow work days or overnight placements. Part of my requirement is I still need portability for inevitable plane travels.

If I need a machine for work then gaming is the furthest thing from my thoughts and my cheap and cheerful Lenovo Yogo 10 can manage presentations and word processing in a pinch. I try to keep those to worlds as separate as possible.

XMG and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  4. Paull

Paull Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can take BGA (I do prefer the ye good olde PGA sockets laptops used to have), what I cannot tolerate is a 2 core ulv processor. The Latitude e7440 with a 2 core 4rth gen i7 I had at work lagged Firefox with 6 tabs open, just 6! Now, rocking my own E5470 with a 4 core i5, I can have more than 10 tabs open flawlessly (My only bottleneck is the RAM, which I'll upgrade next month) without sacrificing battery life nor portability - Still about 7 hours of web browsing, word, excel, youtube and nextflix, less than 2Cm "thick" and less than 2Kg.

ULV processors belong to bloody unpowered ultra portable devices, not mid-to-high end and enterprise laptops

FredSRichardson and XMG like this.
  5. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If $200 without shipping is the cheapest you can get it in Romania... Buy it or look for another with similar price tag. Don't waste more of your hard earned money on laptops with soldered hardware. Or go for a phone or tablet if this suits you better. A nice looking smartphone will cost you more, but I'm sure you understand why.

Georgel and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Papusan - we can begin to make reference to STR notebooks. Most people won't know what we are referring to, but that's OK. It may spark dialogue when they ask for an explanation

Definitions:
    DTR = Desktop Replacement (quality high performance notebooks with powerful processors mounted in sockets and slots - performance and serviceability are held in high regard and made a priority)
    STR = Smartphone/Tablet Replacement (appliances starting at $125 up to "gamerboy turdbook" level - designed to be cheap, small and light weight, but may be grossly overpriced when BGA is misused)

8. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    - you're calling a BGA GTX 1070 laptop a "smartphone/tablet replacement" ?

Hmmm, not sure which bracket you fall into! I guess the question is what would you purchase if you needed to replace your M570TU but were keeping your PC, or if you needed one new laptop to replace both your PC and M570?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    hmscott and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, exactly. Both are designed to be cheap-ass disposable garbage, so on that basis it is fitting and accurate. It's more powerful than a smartphone, but abuses the same design concept for the primary purpose of screwing the people ignorant enough or those with standards low enough to accept such rubbish.

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes. I have been traveling with large DTR notebooks for many years and consider it a non-issue. XPS M1730, AW M17xR2, M18xR1, M18xR2, AW18, P570WM, P870DM-G, P870DM3 and Tornado F5 (which I view as crazy small and too light, but some think is too big and heavy LOL) have been my faithful travel companions for years. Many hundreds of thousands of cross-country air miles with them, and loving every minute of it. These have been a companion to my employer-provided IBM and Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, of which I have utterly despised every one due to their smaller form factor and the miserable user experience they deliver. The miserability factor is attributable to the 14 inch screen size and cramped keyboard that was BGA facilitated.

Ashtrix, FredSRichardson and Papusan like this.