BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    To give the younglings an idea the Pentium III was 0.18um (180nm) and would peak at around 1.3ghz :p

2. dm477

dm477 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My first desktop had a Pentium III...and it only had a stock cooler on it. I think I was about 10. I don't think I had anything to monitor temperatures but let's say that air in the rear of the case used to be quite toasty! Boy that brings back memories.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    1.3ghz??

I had Thermal(take)right Copper heatsinks with 8000rpm Delta's on a pair of PIII's @ 1.1ghz, and that was OC'd to the max on an Abit VP6 :)
    http://soggi.eu/motherboards/abit/VP6.htm#spec
    VP6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Papusan likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I was thinking of the Tualatin core which was actually 130nm, you are right the 180nm would only go to around 1.1ghz (Intel had to recall the 1.13ghz version).

My first CPU above 1Ghz with a 1.4ghz athlon thunderbird an an Aopen black beauty motherboard :)

Not too long after that I embraced SATA with the ABit NF7-S with an athlon XP 2500 barton core :D

2x 80GB 7200.7 HDDs in raid 0 back then was SO much faster than my old 4200rpm 6GB Drive (I tended to take huge leaps back then lol).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    How far we've come.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Comparing the highest end boards of the time to even a budget board these days in terms of component density let alone quality really makes it stand out :)

[​IMG]
    (The foil around the socket was to stop the screwdriver you were applying large amounts of force on to get the heatsink to mount did not scratch the PCB!)
    vs

[​IMG]

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Funny thing was, it seemed like it took forever to get to 1ghz in 2000.

IMSAI 8080 - 1975 - 2mhz
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSAI_8080

Apple II - 1977 - 1mhz ( even back then Apple was the slowest ;) )
    http://oldcomputers.net/appleii.html

Super Fast GNAT (military model) - 1977 - 4ghz
    https://classictech.wordpress.com/computer-companies/gnat-computers-san-diego-calif/

Good times...

Just before that *full* 1ghz, I had a 933mhz that would *almost* OC to 990 something mhz... not quite 1ghz.

It seems like it was another whole year before we got that full 1ghz.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Aroc, Raiderman and Papusan like this.
  8. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Notebook Groundsloth

Reputations:
    I find it either funny or alarming that my Samsung phone is a lot more powerful than my first laptop (and has a higher res screen). My phone is probably a $500 device at time of purchase - I'm pretty sure my first laptop was a lot more.

I also agree that in general for expensive monolithic hardware (and specifically for BGA laptops) it is infuriating that the device is nerfed to improve manufacturing yield and that the possibility of optimizing performance for individual components is gone.

However, if size and weight are any consideration then there is a big gap between a $600 BGA notebook and a $1800 LGA gaming laptop and I don't see a "vote with your wallet" option in there.

Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably pay more to get the MSI Tornado F5, but I don't think that that is a decision everyone would be willing to make.

Also, frankly, I don't think the "stick" vs "carrot" approach really sways other peoples opinions if that is what the intent of BGA bashing is. I can see that it is a good way to relieve anger and I do agree that the situation is infuriating...

Aroc and hmscott like this.
  9. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That god damn NForce chipset! :eek:

The amount of times my system would bluescreen or just refuse to boot because of those drivers.

Funnily enough, it was that very chip that created the cross-licensing deal between Intel and Nvidia which expired very recently.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I never had issues, then again I would not jump on drivers the second they came out :p