BGA Venting Thread ;)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FredSRichardson, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i3 processors that have gone from M to U termination have been stagnating for a while now and nowadays people buying a 7100U CPU will get a similar performance to a 3100M CPU and that ain't that okay. BGA is part of the problem and while some might not care about this one bit, it is a pity for those who wanted to spend little but still get decent power.

2. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It has to do with the fact that Singapore has some absurd taxes on cars due to extremely limited space IIRC.

3. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz [LHz]

Reputations:
    Indeed. The permit to even own a car is often times more than the price of the car itself.

::iunlock::

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Don't know why that didn't occur to me, with the limited land mass. I was thinking like India where they want everything made there and put taxes on because of that.

iunlock likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Finally, Some very wise words. Thought I was dreaming when I read this. +rep

jclausius, TBoneSan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It was intel that decided to move away from sockets and intel don't care if they sell a BGA chip to be put on a motherboard or a socketed chip to plug in for a replacement.

iunlock likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation Δv = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    As others have said, it's the total price of the car after adding in the price of the Certificate of Entitlement, which allows you to own and drive the car for exactly a decade (after which you have to fork out another thirty to fifty thousand to renew it), the 100% import tax on cars, plus the fuel tax.

As we Singaporeans say, if you're rich enough to buy a BMW, Merc or Audi in Singapore with your own money (they all cost roughly US$200,000 total), you can probably get a new Lamborghini in America and still have money to spare for a decently large house.

My father bought his Civic in late 2007 for about US$50,000. This August, he either has to pay a sum to renew his CoE, or scrap a perfectly good car. That being said, Singapore is small enough that nearly everyone can get by without a car.

As for LGA on notebooks... Why doesn't anyone seem to want a return of the notebook socket, PGA? In my opinion the older mobile processors were better for cooling as the copper was directly in contact with the silicon, and no delidding rubbish needed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I would still prefer 91-100W chips vs. the older Extreme models with 55-57W

hmscott likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The extreme editions could have their TDPs upped but where expensive and the mobile sockets do limit pin count. Also intel do not want to ship any chips with pins.

10. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    One unexpected benefit for us of Intel phasing out the PGA sockets is that they can't charge you an arm and a leg for a PGA equivalent of the 7700K since it's the exact same part that goes into a desktop. Hell, even the BGA part tray prices are at a MINIMUM equal to what Intel charges for the top of the line consumer-grade CPU.

bennyg likes this.