BGA on Desktop, IT HAPPENED!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Danishblunt, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They have already 2 different lines of Aw models, rinneh. One thinner than the other and both models run 100C.

As you can see, expect also m17 model being thrown out after the New Year or early spring. I can't in my wildest imagination see they will push for a 3rd AW model line. Here's Azors own words... "For many years we used desktop processors in our notebooks. The truth is that the compromises that come associated with doing so are not worth it in our experience." All what customers will get is Razer imitations. Maybe even thinner. Azor and Alienware have chosen this direction long time ago. You can not learn a blind man to see again with just magic.
    upload_2018-12-3_2-43-47.png

upload_2018-12-3_2-51-2.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You and i both know that 80% of these issues come from bad thermal paste & thermal pad applications and the concept of the current normal & M series are the same. The M15 is not much thinner than the normal 15.

and battery drain is normal if the PSU isnt big enough. Better than the unit shutting down. Just make sure the PSU is sufficient and there are no issues.99% of the laptops do this.

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @rinneh @Papusan @Mr. Fox

quoting from dell alienware's moderator on their forum ROFL, they no longer even try to hide it. talking as if its natural. zero shame and blatantly advertise those temp as okay. lmao 5c difference from average to peak, thats a lot of room for usage.

Ashtrix, Raiderman, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yeah thanks to intel. I hate how their documents state that it is okay. But the reason why it is okay is because it will just throttle.

Frank Azor stated by the way that they might release laptops with MXM boards again on twitter as a response to someone.

jaybee83 and Grant B Gibson like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    no. way. o_O DEFINITELY super proprietary crap bolted down in such a way that only "official service technicians" from dellienware can actually exchange those gpus :rolleyes:

Raiderman, Ashtrix, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    if u blamed intel for paying OEM to go bga direction and changing how they define TDP then i'd agree with you. if blaming intel for OEM purposely design these machines to reduce cost, then no, which is the gist i got from your statement.

lets not make false statement and compromises. intel sell product, oem had plenty of time to test them, not to mention some of the CPU core arch lasted close to a decade in its generation. even without being a engineer people can do simple scaling math.

just no, brother rinneh, compromises and consumer stupidity and their arrogant attitude is what got us here today.

Raiderman and rinneh like this.
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even though im webdesigner/developer who also did a minor of industrial design. I do catch a lot from where I work about manufacturing and supply chains. From what I understood is Intel sends out specifications, templates etc to all board manufacturers. The designers start to base their design on what is written in that document (45watt tdp etc) and build a laptop around that. Because they all want to be like the first they do not test heavily after the design phase. They use the specifications that Intel supply them with like the bible and stick to that. Now we ended up with core i9's that specifried as 45watt TDP CPU's but have in real life usage a a power draw of 110watts. I think this is terrible. Because of this we end with machines that need heavy tuning for it to work efficiently.

I do get your vision, but this is just from what I catch from the industry.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well lets hope thats not the case. It woul dreally give the MXM standard some light again and hopefully makes those add on boards a lot cheaper than they currently are.

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    being the first is one thing, it is not the excuse to slack on heatsink design. it doesnt need a lot of time to test btw. you make a heatsink, or use an old one even if it doesnt "fit" into current chassis as long as it has a dissipation and capacity, they can easily figure out just how much it is required. slap on an old heatsink to the cpu, fire it up, run it for 10 mins and you have your answer.

theres no denying it is fact, they are designing machine to intel's value. its the fact that they know it ain't good enough but won't do more. because market wants thin/light and everybody else is doing it, and also they can save money on materials by having producing smaller parts.

Raiderman likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Liquid metal didnt help much. The other brands similar models was able to run cooler with stock paste.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50h-coffee-lake.810891/page-117#post-10829150

I have pushed 425w from the wall in bench with a single 330W psu. The 330W should be able to deliver sustained 400w the whole time. And Alienware use same 330w psu for their gaming models. See... There is no need for battery drain. Because I can't see Azors models is able to push 400w with the "capped" power limits.

17% thinner means Alienware could make a better cooling if they skipped the chassis shrinking for m15. 17% is still 17% thinner (fans-grills). They already know 6 core Coffee lake run hot as Hell in their thicker models.
    Have you seen Dells proprietary graphics cards solution (similar mxm) in their other Dell models notebooks?
    Maybe you don't know... But Intel don't post all info (all types internal specs sheet) to the public. See... MB manufactures can put in 115C degrees temp threshold in their bios firmware. They of course got this info/guidelines from Intel.

Intel recommended 120W PL1 and 110w PL2 limits for unlocked i9-8950Hk BGA chips in notebooks. This is already out in public. Intel have stated several times the later years.... They have given the OEM's more free hands how much they want cripple their products. Only a Moron recent graduate engineer with no experience will/would design cooling around the "officially published 45W TDP specs" for all H Mobile BGA chips.

You have probably seen Dell brag about that they have increased power limits above Intels specs on locked down BGA. See the XPS models.

None in public know or have seen the documents Intel sends to their parners (OEMs). Neither they know what's going behind closed doors between hardware manufacturers and the OEM. Say all notebook engineers did not know ... That's wrong. Notebook manufacturers who also design and create desktop builds (see AW-Asus etc) know early how hot the 9th gen 6 core chips could run. This before the 9th gen Intel BGA chips were on the paper and officially shown to them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018