BGA on Desktop, IT HAPPENED!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Danishblunt, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well VIA has been doing so since they made their first mini-ITX boards and has set the trend for soldered CPU systems, now blame VIA folks :rolleyes:

Regarding those dark magic CPUs, I may buy one and build a system based on mostly Taobao parts, given how easy I can buy parts from it. Some of these chips cost as much as a second-hand Haswell i5 so certainly worth considering if I'm gonna build a budget rig. Just have to make sure not to get a Gigabyte motherboard.

Dennismungai and jaybee83 like this.
  2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Unfortunate update, the seller has canceled and refunded my order, but I'll see if I can get another chip

jaybee83 likes this.
  3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    If you get a working example that'd be quite fantastic. Let me know.

jaybee83 likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Come on man. this is overreacting.

Just different people have different needs, wishes, requirements, or whatever how you wanna call it. You know my stance about this, i prefer a portable machine thats powerful than a super thick and hard to transport machine that doesnt perform better in games and maybe 25% better in absolute CPU bound productivity.

Regarding repairability and costs. MXM boards cost the same as a full motherboard for most laptops.

Its a very well thought out decision

hmscott and Mastermind5200 like this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    And there's the problem.
    A LGA CPU is only about 3mm larger than a BGA CPU. The die is the same size. So is the housing.
    So why can't they just install it on a notebook that isn't big and heavy? Maybe because having to account for 4mm of IHS takes brain cells and some work and people are lazy?
    I mean.....4mm....count it boys. FOUR MILLIMETERS...

But hey, you know, Intel has to get rid of their trash bin cpu's somehow! Costs money to just throw them away. Or they could just give them to the homeless or less fortunate for free. Free F tier LGA CPUs'! Here you go.

Raiderman, Mr. Fox, ole!!! and 2 others like this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    problem is that consumers nowadays tend to count each and every mm that their laptop is thinner... *rollseyes*

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A socket adds about 2mm, the heaspreaders adds 2 mm etc. Thats already 50% more thickness of most ultrabooks. Thats like 80% of the market now. Intel offers 0,0% support on desktops LGA CPU's in laptops so if you have a large scale business you wouldnt receive any support and design aid etc which is a huge financial risk.

and to be honest i think my AW15R3 is already thick enough :d dont want it even thicker. 4~5mm more would be about a 30% increase of the bottom base if I dont count the height of the feet.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    and i count their temperature. 96, 97, 98c

jaybee83 and Falkentyne like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This should come as no surprise. All of the kiddos and preppy Facebook jockeys value style over substance. In fact, they're actually unable to identify or define substance, so style is the only thing that matters to them. It's OK if it overheats, throttles and runs like crap as long as it looks cute, has the right brand logo for status within the clique they are part of and their friends approve of it.

Raiderman, ole!!!, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  10. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apple..what? Huh? I didnt say anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.