Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuroLionheart

KuroLionheart Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My touchpad would lock up sometimes and everytime I moved it all it would do is zoom/zoom out on whatever I was looking at. It used to be really sensitive and would zoom in on crap all the time, the scrolling would just outright stop working sometimes, etc. I don't have any of those problems anymore. I'm still wary of the scrolling though since with Beta 1 which fixed the other problems kind of made the scrolling worse but whatever. Seems fine so far.

2. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My touchpad is still 'borked' (good word for it). If I am really careful and do not rest my palms on the tp while typing it will still work OK, most of the time. I can get it to fail fairly consistently by touching both sides of the touchpad for 10 -20 seconds. Like I said though this does not work all of the time. It will also fail quite often if I pick the laptop up and reposition it on my lap. This seems to be consistent with a lot of posts that report it is worse when when taken off of a desk. Sometimes I will just be mousing over a webpage and and it will bork. You can tell right away by its sudden sluggish movement.

I don't think it is a tp driver issue, the different versions just effect the problem further down the line in different ways. Even with no tp driver installed, (Windows uses the mouse one) it was climbing its way over to the right side of my screen. Maybe it is to be expected as it is a mouse driver after all.

I am now running the latest driver (the no scrybe one) and as usual have most stuff turned off. I also turned the speed down a bit to see if that helps. It seems to me it will bork sometimes when the cursor is moving swiftly across the screen.

Mine will also fail when a window pops up when using Google docs, which again makes me think it may be related to the video driver.

I was reading through some old posts and there was one that mentioned that the problem did not exist with the 206 bios or maybe it was the original vbois. Can anyone confirm that? Maybe it is a conflict with the video card driver or firmware.

3. cotolay

cotolay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the exact same issue as Morecoffee with the same description he gave. I also don think its a Driver Problem. Maybe a bios one, because if you uninstall Synaptic drivers and use windows ones it still fails. Maybe a palmrest/touchpad replacement would fix it with RMA.

4. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Palm Check is in there. Expand the arrow just to the left of Pointing. Select Palm Check. Finally click the little icon to the right of Palm Check that looks like a couple of gears meshed together.

PhnX... I hate to say this out loud... but I haven't missed a keystroke since Friday when I applied 213. It is the strangest thing. I'm pretty happy about that, but I'm not doing the Snoopy dance just yet. I want to see it work right for a month.

Here's a synopsis of my BIOS saga. My laptop was out on RMA when the betas started coming in so I pretty much went straight to Beta 3. I don't know if it was perfect but it was LOTS better on missed keystrokes but my TP was crazy sensitive. I went to Beta 4 and the TP was completely unusable. I went back and forth to 206, 209, 211, and beta 3 and couldn't get it to work right again.

One night I was killing time on IRC with Chastity and she suggested trying Beta 3 again. I did because she's got some kind of karma when it comes to G73s. It didn't help until I removed and reinstalled the Synaptics driver. Touchpad working again but crazy sensitive. Missed keystrokes were much better but still there. Instead of two per paragraph it was about one every other paragraph.

I installed 213 and removed Synaptics 15.1.9. I installed 15.2.7 and the touchpad is still too sensitive but it works fine. The missed keystrokes have disappeared since I installed 213.

To be fair, I don't know if the touchpad has anything at all to do with the betas. They replaced my touchpad while it was out on RMA so I have no idea if it was like this the whole time or not. My ORIGINAL touchpad worked perfectly as far as I remember. They replaced it in an attempt to make my machine stop missing keystrokes.

That's really long. I should stop blathering. I wish I could find the magic formula to make everyone's touchpad and keyboard work correctly. I think we have all the right tools. 213, Synaptics 15.2.7 or 15.1.9, and some goofy remove/reinstall procedure fixes it. I don't know which way, though! :(

I'm like DcX... I've literally done it fifty ways and it finally started working right the last time.

5. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    ... except I'm having problems with the touchpad right now. *sigh*

6. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got back into town, has the new Bios come out yet! Has anything happened on the fixes and upgrades. I have missed about two weeks of news on this. Thanks for any help on catching me up on the issues at hand.

7. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can get the 213 bios from Chastity's driver ROG post. My tp just borked after I typed the first sentence...

8. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    Asus has an unofficial but becoming official bios 213.

In other news (Yes, I'm attention "streetwalking") I've repasted 3x and found that my chip ... with a GOOD paste job ... sits at about 96 TSS1.

9. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A little off topic but I must say that your subtitle on your avatar freaks me out every time I notice it! :eek:

Your GPU is failing? Is it performing badly or just running too hot? Do you think it's really that hot? Are the other two sensors near TSS1 or is it out in left field by itself?

10. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    I've got a writeup here, and in my sig. I really don't think it's failing, I just can't decide if I suck at repasting, or my heatsink is warped, or I've just got a hot chip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.