Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    I spent a good 15 minutes trying to get the error to reproduce itself PRIOR to flashing, and couldn't get it to happen. Though I know it does happen, I couldn't figure out a reliable way of reproducing it on my machine ... so I upgraded the bios anyways. Still no problems... but I couldn't get it to work earlier either.

I'm doing a fresh install NOW. And I swore I wouldn't be a guinea pig for another problem fix ... and here I am. Mostly because asus DID treat me right for a long time, and eventually with my g73.

2. legoheads

legoheads Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, so I just clicked the bottom left hand side of the synaptic security message disabling the "notification" and it appears to have solved my pop-up issue at startup.

Gary, after uninstalling and reinstalling all of the various drivers my keyboard does appear to be working more consistently. I just typed a lengthy email without a single dropped keystroke.

Bravo!

3. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just removed and reinstalled the ATI 10.12 drivers and I am happy to say I think mine is fixed. It has been an hour and the touchpad has not glitched at all. I removed all of the ATI stuff and rebooted. I could feel an improvement in the touchpad right away while I used the machine with no drivers installed. I installed the 10.12s and rebooted and it is still fine... Yay!

So to summarize... you have to install he system bios and then the vbios and then the 10.12 drivers. I reinstalled the others as well but for me it definitely was the re-install of the 10.12s that fixed it.

4. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had done the keyboard and touchpad drivers earlier and they made no difference. It was the post install of the 10.12s that fixed it.

One more thing... I really like the Chiral scrolling and the momentum setting in the touchpad settings. Momentum makes it so easy to zip around the screen.

5. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mine actually worked fine for about 4 hours after i flashed the Bios and installed the listed drivers, but after that i started loosing keys while chatting in DDO more and more... Now im back to the drivers i had before and touchpad disabled in Bios. I already bought a smaller travel mouse (well at least smaller than the MX Performance on my desk - the M705/Marathon Mouse) anyway so i dont care much anymore.

6. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah You are right on this, I really like the Touch Pad and how it works. And it is very easy to set up and get running. Once I started using this Touch Pad I have not hardly used my mouse as the Touch Pad really does a good job .
    I used it to play some games and it worked just fine. And I have never been able to use a Touch Pad for gaming before.
    Now I am better with a mouse in the games but I can use the Touch Pad to play when I am out and not have to take the mouse.

It looks like we are making forward progress on these issues and I am sure they will make some tweaks as they get more data from all the users. I am waiting to see what fix comes out next!

7. Thanatospy

Thanatospy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys! im having a big problem here, after update the bios my laptop neverturn on again...... holly what can i do? how can i reflash if i have no bios? dammit plz help, for me is imposible to rma my machine

8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you flashed the BIOS, and it bricked, you need to RMA or buy a new motherboard.

9. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that mate, but youll have to RMA, nothing you can do yourself after a failed Bios flash.

10. rorage

rorage Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    buy a new motherboard?
    how about first trying to replace the BIOS memory chip
    :: BIOSMAN :: BIOS Updates : BIOS chips : BIOS recovery : AWARD : PHOENIX : AMI : BIOS replacement : Thumb Drives : Minoru 3D Webcam

and I am pretty sure ASUS could do that, I know that some motherboard even have special recovery options some can do it via usb, some need to connect to certain pins on the motherboard (JTAG or SPI),actually the AMI bios even has built in recovery options, but it's at the discretion of the bios manufacturer (they only license the code) to include it or not , and I guess Asus decided against it.
    what bothers me is that the bios exist for a long time, and the bricking is a pretty serious issue, why couldn't Asus include a recovery option? and not flash the recovery part with each bios flash (since it rarely changes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.