Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meligy

Meligy Newbie

Reputations:
    I think it did. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it to Flash at all.

As I mentioned, flashing from WinFlash worked normally (didn't get disabled button or unrecognized file or so), but soon after the touchpad went freezing way more often. Trying to flash the same file from EasyFlash/Bios-menu made the laptop fail. No power. Trying the tiny hidden button in the base and removing battery and all this is no use.

2. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Who is Mason? And where do I find his email. Also what email did you or others use for Gary? .

The only email I have for Gary is the one to send in the test data files for the touch pad. Is that the one everyone is using?

Thanks

3. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    No, you can flash whatever you want. I'm just curious if you forced it or not. If you did, no chance to fix it. If not, you could try the reset button, etc.

4. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I REALLY dont want to curse myself, but i think the new drivers have improved my touchpad a bit.. haven't had a freak out yet, but i am still not using it as much as originally.

5. serlex

serlex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So... do we have any more news about the promised final bios that was "coming shortly" a week ago?

Yes, I'm growing a little bit impatient... I've been suffering from the hideous touch-pad issues for 5 months and I _really_ want to get rid of them!

6. PhnX

PhnX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I doubt they'll actually come out with something that works. I've had a few techs look at it already and they said it was a voltage issue. Here's to hoping, I guess, as I sit in class struggling to keep up with notes while my keyboard skips every other keystroke and my touchpad sits in the top right corner continually scrolling :(

7. serlex

serlex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

So... if it turns out that ASUS realises that touchpad issue is something that cannot be fixed via software/firmware/bios

...what's gonna happen to us? I don't know about you, but I got my laptop not that long ago (early September) and I don't want a faulty product...

8. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While it depends on the hardware, it isn't impossible to control voltage via BIOS/software. I too hope its fixable, as it is my chief, and really only complaint about the laptop (Especially since i use it AS a laptop, and an external mouse is a PITA). And, i did curse myself.. the new drivers did not fix anything in the end for me.

9. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That sounds terrible, PhnX! I'm sure you know this but you really should get a small wireless travel mouse and turn off the touchpad in BIOS until there is a fix. If you turn off the TP in BIOS you will miss zero keystrokes. That would just suck... trying to take notes quickly with it throwing away random key presses. :(

10. PhnX

PhnX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm aware Jody, I've been sifting through your posts since I joined this forum, as you're the only one who seems to have it as bad as me. I've tried everything from the HID device fix, Synaptics drivers, to every possible BIOS flash to no avail. As far as a travel mouse, it's not the size of the mouse that's an issue, it's the desk space. Most college classrooms have built in mini-tables in the chairs. My laptop barely balances on those, let alone a mouse. It sucks, especially for a student, to blow this much money on a laptop that can't perform basic functions. I still love the damn thing though. When I render media x10 faster than my classmates on their Macs, it really does shine. But when I have to share notes with them, and I have to go through them filling in missed keystrokes so I don't look illiterate, it's rather embarrassing and frustrating. Anyway , /rant, thanks for the suggestion though Jody ;)

As far as BIOS being able to regulate voltage, I am aware of this as well, but I'm not sure you can regulate something as specific as voltage output per keystroke. Perhaps tuning down the voltage of the touchpad to compensate? I'm sure Gary and his team know better than I do. But after almost a year of waiting, you can imagine why people would start to lose hope. On the other hand, you have to appreciate the effort Gary has put into this. I don't think any other company would really care about an issue that affects a small number of people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.