Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Morecoffee I had the same thing happen to me when I first installed all the fixes.
    In fact it was worse than before the Touch Pad was all over the place, I could not really control anything with it.

I do not know what did it for my machine but when I re installed the Bios beta from Gary and the other files, all started working. The Touch Pad works fine now, and the lag and missed keystrokes have stopped , or at least slowed down to where I am not seeing them as I type.

I should have checked each time after each install but I did not.
    You might make sure your Notebook Bios are set back to the basic setting and then do a reflash and see what happens.

But I can say that I am stumped as to what part caused my system to start working but it did. I was about to just give up on the fix and move on till they came out with something else , I am glad I did not.

2. sethsez

sethsez Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It helps out a bit, but I still have some lag and missing keystrokes, which REALLY sucks as it makes music games completely unplayable (and they'll be unplayable until there's a fix that works 100%, not just 99.999%, which this isn't either).

It's nice to see some progress, but I'm going back to the old bios and disabling the touchpad again.

3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers may have helped by the fact the system sets up the hardware with the new BIOS configuration. I do not know what they changed, but having the hardware redetected may help out.

4. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Chastity - Are you suggesting I reinstall the driver list Gary suggested? I did the bios flashes last when I did it. So what you are saying is... The drivers may install differently depending on the environment changes made by the new bios.

5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    The trackpad drivers would probably be the one to have reinstalled, and also the keyboard filter driver. I'm sure there are other drivers that could, and should be updated. I'm beginning to think that a maintenance guide is in order, but I am too tired to write one up right now. That one will take awhile to do.

6. BattleNut

Reputations:
    I know that when I re installed the Beta Bios and then re installed the drivers and software that Gary had posted all started to work.
    It did take a little while as I rebooted each time I did a install, to make sure all the resources where taken by the driver , that way when the next installed it would not use any that was already used.
    The last that I installed was the new driver for the Track Pad. After I did this all worked and so far it is working great.
    Before this I could not get the Track Pad to work and the Keyboard lag and missed keys made it to where I could not even type a short text.

7. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My keyboard has always been fine. I have reinstalled the drivers and the touchpad still goes flaky. It will work well for a while and then it starts to become unresponsive. Usually the first indication is a missed 'tap to select'. Then it will not move properly... then it will do the quick horizontal glide all the way to the right side of the screen, usually after a tap. If I happen to have blinked at the same instance I have to refind it... then I go back to using my trackball.

8. sethsez

sethsez Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to update, reinstalling all the drivers AFTER updating the BIOS seemed to do the trick. I played four full games of DJ MAX Trilogy (kinda like Stepmania for those who don't know it) and didn't get any missed key presses. Given the sheer amount of keys you have to press in that game in a short period of time, and how strict it is with timing, I'm willing to say that the issue is fixed for me.

I also opened a Word document and typed "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" twenty times with no issues either.

Now if only there were a way to make the damn mouse button less stiff I'd find it COMPLETELY usable, but that's a bit beyond a simple BIOS update. :p

9. BattleNut

Reputations:
    I just set up the Touch pad so I did not have to use the buttons. Now it works great.

10. legoheads

legoheads Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone else get an annoying Security pop-up window on every reboot after installing the recommended Synaptics drivers in the original post?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.