Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well this Bios version is not working as it should. I am having keys that I have to press and hold down to get them to work, it is like they are skipping again.
    I am also losing keys while typing in any software and when this happens I have to reboot to get them back , unlike before where I could just restart the software .
    Also this seemed to get worse this week when I got an update for Win 64 through Windows update. I do not know what it did but I do know that it did not help with this matter.
    Hmm , This is making it close to impossible for me to do anything on this system fighting these Keyboard and touch pad issues.

2. Xellon

Xellon Shinobi of the wind

Reputations:
    What would happen if Gary weren't around? Damn....

3. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    I've been experimenting, and it seems that the plastic around the edge of the touchpad will activate it (not heat or anything) if there is pressure applied to it! Up to about a cm away from the actual surface, even!

So if your wrist is even touching it slightly, it'll "activate".

4. Makou107

Makou107 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe this has been asked and if so my apologizes but this being a beta build should people who are not really experiencing the problem wait for a new release?

I was about to update but as I followed along the instructions it ended up being more work that I thought (simple bios update). I don't want to risk creating a problem if my current system state is "stable".

5. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you are on 211 production now I would not update to the beta version. No reason to if your machine is fine.

6. mite_jan

mite_jan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    have you tried putting up a big sticky paper around the touchpad if it will neutralise the unwanted resize ...

7. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can confirm that on my system downgrading to bios 206 helped tremendously. My touchpad was absolutely unusable with Synaptics 15.1.22.2 on the betas, 211, and 209. I flashed 206 and it seems that any of the touchpad drivers works fine. Of course I'm dropping keystrokes like mad again, but the touchpad works.

I would love to be able to establish some brilliant hypothesis about why flashing back to 206 works. I think it replaces the muffler bearings and refills the blinker fluid. That's all I got so far. :(

Edit: I flashed from 206 to the latest beta (#4) and the touchpad is still behaving itself. Can someone else who is having a wacky touchpad give this a shot and see if it fixes yours? Some people were reporting that theirs would work fine for a while and then screw up. Mine was screwed up 100% of the time. It would act like I had two fingers down all the time and I couldn't get enough cursor control to even surf the web properly. It is still extremely sensitive, but working correctly.

8. groo39

groo39 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it's the fetzer valve. You know, it's all ball bearings these days..

9. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Old saying , If it's not broke don't fix it!

If you are not having any issues then I would leave it alone and not do anything that might make it worse.

10. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Jody - I will consider trying your down to 206 and back to beta 4 if the fix seems to be still good after a few days. It seems that changing things does fix it for a while but it always creeps back. Mine has never been totally wigged out like you described.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.