Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JehutyZeroshift

JehutyZeroshift Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe it's not a hardware issue. As mine and my brother's G73JH-A2 came with bios 206 (no problem on touchpad for months) and after we flashed to 211, the trackpad goes nuts by thinking often times that a single finger is doing a pinch-zoom or sometimes the cursor gets unresponsive for few seconds.

2. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think there is an issue that is tied in with the keyboard. Some notice the keyboard problem because of the way they type. Most likely the faster the typist the more dropped keys there are. Slower typist might not notice the dropped keys at all, or it might even be a rhythm thing. I think the beta bios releases have changed something to favor the keyboard data and impacted the data from the touchpad.

Typing in these quick reply windows almost always causes my touchpad to screw up.

3. frosty5689

frosty5689 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It was all fine before I updated to the latest BIOS and vBIOS, mind you.

4. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    I am also pissed when this failure occurs. So I press it rather hard. Then it corrects itself immediately.

RMA is easier said than done. I don't think Asus has the competency to diagnose or detect this issue since it is totally random and requires actual use of the touchpad past booting to the W7 desktop.

In the past I have asked Gary and other Asus reps here by way of PM or in open discussion to help facilitate a RMA since they are aware of this REAL defect in workmanship but they all ignore me.

Lame:mad:
    I'm starting to rethink my strategy...maybe I'll keep M17x R2 CF and sell my G73JH for a Dell Inspirion Duo Tablet. The M17x R3 has the same GPU limitations the 5870M has but in a much cooler/expensive form factor. Oh yeah and HDMI Input.

If this is how Asus treats it's customers I'd rather spend more to get more. I can't believe I wasted the last 3 years of my PC gaming with Asus.

I think that my touchpad is fixed becuase I performed my second touchpad replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My touchpad lasted for about 4 hours tonight, I had to do about 5 right button clicks but then it finally got to a point where I could not move the cursor. I am now using my trackball...

6. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Um... yeah. I did that. I was without my laptop for 35 days. I have a new motherboard, audio board, palm rest, and LCD. I am on the second keyboard which I purchased myself.

It does not fix the problem. I still have missed keys unless I disable it in bios or run a beta bios. With either of those solutions I can type all day without typing errors. Personally, I am not a fast typist... anywhere from 45 to 60 WPM but I am very accurate. It will make you want to throw the laptop out the window when you've blasted off a quick IM to your boss only to look up and see that it appears you spell like a third grader. In email, one always has plenty of time to correct before sending but in IM it will make you look like a real dope.

Does anyone know if the beta bios modifies something that the original bios does not? The reason I ask is that I'm finding it impossible to get back to the original touchpad behavior once the beta has been installed.

I put 211 and then tried 209 on my laptop but my touchpad is still psycho no matter what driver I use or how many features I disable.

I suspect that the beta is setting some things that can't be "unset". I held in the reset button for about thirty seconds and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

7. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems that when we use the new Bios the track Pad works for some time.
    But on every one the Track Pad degrades over time and the more you use it the worse it gets.
    I do not know if it is Hardware or firmware or drivers but this is not fixed.

And to just RMA it , well that does not always work as when you get your systems back it is still the way you sent it in and you have something else not working.
    I bought this G73 and it has been out 3 times from the second day I had it. And I have to pay every time I send it in, I could have bought a better machine for the extra money I have spent on getting a brand new system fixed by warranty work having to be done.

8. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I still say, just RMA your notebooks and not just have the techs do some bios fix that isn't fixing what seems to me a hardware issue.

Make sure they REPLACE the touchpad.

Because face it, it's only a few of you who are affected. And I know on my system and talking to others on Mumble, Teamspeak we find your issues baffling as the touchpad and keyboard do work. But considering the nature of mass production of the most popular 17" gaming notebook that made even Alienware change the M17x R3 to compete with the G73, have to expect a few misses. Hell even from a boutique notebook like Alienware you get bad apples.

Good luck. RMA or just live in laptop hell waiting for bios fix that may never fix your problem when it's likely a hardware issue not bios. Just my 2 cents. Wait a few weeks to be fixed, or run out your warranty and then screwed forever when Asus discontinues any fixes for G73jh.

9. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I appreciate what you're saying here. It makes sense to just send it in until you get one that works correctly. I just wanted to clarify that the palm rest is the touchpad. It's all one piece. They replaced this part on my laptop in December and it didn't fix the problem. I really thought it was going to be fixed. If you replace the motherboard and palm rest, what else could it possibly be? However, it didn't change anything.

Gary said earlier that they had tried keyboard/motherboard/palmrest replacements on units with this problem and it doesn't solve it. That's why he states that it is software whether that is driver or bios I do not know. I do know they are working on it and I really like my laptop aside from this issue. It doesn't prevent me from playing WoW at night or programming all day so I'll live with it and see what shakes out of the tree.

10. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They have tried hardware changes , and so far it did not work.
    It has to be in software or firmware as when we get a new bios it does seem to work and work well for awhile, some for quite awhile and some it does not work from word go.
    We can reboot and the Touch Pad will work again and may work the whole time you use the system, and then the next boot up the system may not work right in anyway.
    So replacing the Touch Pad and Keyboard by RMA does not fix the issue. This has been tried by many and By Gary in testing to see if a new hardware replacement would fix the issue. That is why you do not see anyone in a hurry to RMA for this problem.

So in till they find what the issue is it does not help to keep throwing things into the mix . We have to find out what the Root cause is before anyone can get this problem fixed on our systems. And by Gary,s post there are a few companies involved in finding out what this issue is and how to fix it.

Yes I get angry at the problem , and get tired of waiting and dealing with reboots and restarting software just like everyone else. But Gary and crew are working on the issue and are trying to find out what is the cause, so I wait. I really like this Notebook and it does play games fast, and it allows me to do Video and Audio Forensics that I used to have to bring home and do on a Desktop. So when they get this fixed I will have a great system.

The only thing I worry about and would like to know from Gary or ASUS is if they do not find a fix what are the planning to do about all of us that have these units that do not work or keep having these problems , we are working around problems that we should not have to , and are doing this on a daily basis .

I have been using ASUS Computers and motherboards and parts for years, and I have had very few problems with the parts in the past, and when I did it was replaced quickly and with out issue and I was on my happy way.
    But this one, the G73 has me puzzled as I have not had to wait this long for a fix or replacement over a system that did not work.
    And what bothered me the most lately was while talking to a tech on what to do about this his answer was to buy one of there new systems that are coming out! Well I do not have the money to just go and buy one of the newer ones that work and just forget this one because they do not have a fix. Some may have the money ,but I would guess that most of us can not afford to do this. And I would like to get some Answers back from Gary on what is going to happen like I said above if they do not get this fixed soon. It has been eight months sense I bought this machine and I went without it for over 10 weeks from day two waiting for it to be repaired. So I do not think I or anyone else is out of line asking these questions !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.