Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morecoffee

Morecoffee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You mean hopefully it will get fixed with a software update...

2. kaiten

kaiten Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    worked for me perfectly in the european version of the G73-A1. I also have X-FI working perfectly with 2.55 now. no keystrokes missing at all, the touchpad seems to be like a kitten compared to the tiger it was!

10.12 working fine also. my system seems actually more responsive!

thanks for this fix. it actually makes this system workable on again, rather than sitting doing nothing bar playing movies and music in my living room.

i'm on chasts vbios.

to get X-Fi working i used the software CD from my X-Fi USB 5.1 external. i wasn't expecting it to recognise the realtek, but it supports both!. and it updates properly from the creative site also :D I get the choice to pick cards, from the MB or the USB. sound is nice.

Alchemy also works better with the cd version, it doesn't lock up now.

4. Mrsboz99

Mrsboz99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Just curious about whether the missing keystroke and touchpad issues were on folks machines when they got them or whether they cropped up after all the BIOS and vBIOS updates? I'm trying to figure out what things I specifically need to focus on for my machine. I've never had ANY issues except the GSOD, which were fixed by going to the catalyst 10.1 driver. My computer has been running like gold since; however, I need to install some software from work (ESRI's ArcGIS 10.0) and it won't work. I've worked with Tech Support and the last thing they have to try is to update the video card drivers....which I can't do because only 10.1 is stable for me hehe.

Soooo, I'm working up the courage to just reformat my machine (to get rid of all old drivers and all remaining bits of the ESRI software that I tried installing/uninstalling 10 times or so), update the BIOS to 211 and flash the vBIOS. If I'm understanding correctly, at that time I should be able to install Catalyst 10.12 and all should be well. I'm getting a little confused about what OTHER drivers I should be updating on top of that. If I'm NOT having these keystroke/touchpad issues, should I refrain from messing with the updates you guys list at the start of this thread?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! I'm very nervous about all of this :)

-Tara

5. Morecoffee

Reputations:
    Mine has had the touchpad issue from day one. It shipped with the 209 bios. I installed all of the drivers asked for in the keystroke / touchpad possible fix thread including the 10.12 video driver prior to updating the video bios. The 10.12 drivers installed without a hitch and the machine was fine. I did not game with it though, I think that is where the problem will happen, having the latest drivers with the older vbois.

Like you I was fearful of bricking my machine. I really want to get my touchpad working correctly though so I felt I had to do it. I must say it was very easy. Read the guides and you will have no problems. Like I said I did all of the suggested driver updates then the bios and lastly the vbios. I used an old 128 meg jump drive, formatted to fat 32. It was all good. Good Luck

6. Qero

Qero Newbie

Reputations:
    is it necessary to update the vbios or can i just go ahead for the 211v2 bios?

7. Morecoffee

Reputations:
    You could do one. The main bios is the biggest risk though, if it fails your done. A failed vbios can be recovered from. There was an article on the forum somewhere about doing a blind vbios update.

I am not sure what the software is you are trying to install, but I would bet it is not a problem that will be cured by having the latest software.

8. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can do the system Bios first if you want.
    The reason for the Vbios is they are trying to get everyone on an even field so it will be easier to find any issues.

On my system the new Vbios let me use the video drivers from AMD/ATI .
    I use Chasity's Vbios but you can use either one and be fine.

So far my system and Touch Pad are working fine. It was a rough start on my system but after redoing some of the installs and the sort all started working fine.
    I am typing while using the Touch Pad, I could not do that before as it was just about impossible with the lag and missed key strokes .
    My ( s ) key has dropped out once but after that it has not happened again. And I have been trying to make it come about.
    So for me this has been a gain , I'll keep on using this and if something drops out I will send in another diag file and let them try to work out what happened.

9. bighfr

bighfr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update :) My g73 has being a little iffy and this helped a lot!

10. Morecoffee

Reputations:
    Just for the record... I installed all of the suggested drivers and both the vbios and system bios and the touchpad problem still persists on my JH machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.