Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well so far I am still losing the ( S ) Key in my browser and write software!
    I have got the rest to work as it should, at least it seems so .
    One thing I found was that when I flashed the Bios I had the UEFI set to Enabled , And after the flash nothing changed, and the touch pad was not working and was unstable.
    I reflashed the Bios and I turned off the UEFI and set it to Disabled, Now the touch pad is working and seems to be working fine . But the ( s ) key is still going away for some reason and is random when it does. I can use the Cap ( S ) key and that will work. But it will not work for writing as you cannot have a Cap where it should not be.
    As to the lag , it has gone away . I can type and the key strokes do not get behind and they all seem to work even when I type fast. All but the random ( S ) key that is. And the same still works and has to be done, I have to restart the software , like FireFox that I am using now to get the ( s ) key back when it drops out. And this is on any software that I type in. So it is not just FireFox that the (s) key goes away in while using the Touch Pad.

So at this time it does seem that we are making progress and the Touch Pad seems to working as it should.

I do not know why the UEFI setting has anything to do with the Bios upgrade and Touch Pad not working, but I have two more Units on there way over to me to Flash the Bios , I will see if the same happens when I Flash there Bios . So if you have this on, the UEFI then you might set it to Disabled just in case this is an issue.

Thanks Gary for the update and the help!

2. Gary Key

Gary Key Company Representative

Reputations:
    For those still having a keypad problem, please email your Synaptics diagnostic results to me. It will assist us, AMD, Synaptics and Microsoft greatly.

3. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Updated ATI and realtek and also tried a whole bunch of different Synaptics & ATK drivers combinations just to be sure.
    This Bios does absolutely nothing for me, infact it just made my touchpad become less responsive.
    Will send you the diagnostics report as soon as i get all my drivers back to the versions i had... these newer versions are just worse than what i previously used (GPU is hotter, two finger zoom doesnt work as it used to...).

4. BattleNut

BattleNut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, send in the files to Gary so he can see what is going on.
    It will be easier to get this fixed and they need the data.
    It only took about 3 minutes to get this done.

It will save the file in your Documents folder , zip it up and attach this to the email.

IF you have a mouse plugged in pull that out in till you get the data saved from the Touch Pad software, in my case the mouse was working and the diag software would not see the touch pad.

5. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    I would also like to say thanks for the beta bios. So far I have not had any issues with the touchpad or missing key strokes. I will report back if otherwise. Thanks again.

6. aDDiction

aDDiction Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i always thought that my keyboard missed keystrokes cause i was bad at typing :p turns out its the computers fault!!!!!lol....trying this now

7. TallRed

TallRed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Official Report:

This BIOS only made things WORSE!!!

Missed keystrokes are immediate upon bootup (didn't even have to wait for a sleep cycle) and the touchpad freakouts happen more times than not now.

This was a step in the WRONG direction.

Result: Rolling back to 211 and waiting for someone to do thier job. This is REALLY sad that almost a year after the laptop is introduced we have a hacked "beta" attempt that only makes things worse. As a FYI, I have at least 6-8 friends that ought Asus laptops of many different models in the last year and at least 3-4 of them have described that the trackpad freaks out for them as well. This is a systemic problem and Asus needs to start putting the resources out there to deal with it effectively. This small-scale attempt is not even a good start, but mere subterfuge. Tell the higher ups in Asus to put people on the problem and get it fixed, lest a class-action lawsuit be the only way for us consumers to get satisfaction. It would be really sad to let it come to that, but ideally I have spent over $5k in Asus products in the last year alone, and in the past 2 months I spent $3300 on more equipment that I would have loved to have purchased Asus products, but until they take responsibility and fix thier defective engineering and development work, I refuse to spend more money on Asus products. That $3300 went to eVGA, MSI, Gigabyte and Dell. And sorry, it doesn't take 4-6 months to fix this stuff, it is OBVIOUS that the management at Asus doesn't care to utilize the resources on hand to support a defective product. They woudl rather use those resources to work on newer products and make more money of of other customers, as they obviously feel they already have ours so we don't matter.

And for the record, a fix that requires certain drivers (ones that won't allow for future updates if there IS ever a fix) isn't a real "fix" at all, but a stop-gap measure. Just like the vBIOS that was required so that we can us standard ATI video drivers (not the special-cooked Asus version), whatever fix this is shouldn't require a specific driver that will never be updated. I understand the "controlled environment" attempt towards this BIOS release, but, honestly, if you have to run all specific versions of something to get it to work, it is not a fix.

8. blaydes99

blaydes99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TallRed, we want to just know if it works or not. Sheesh.

9. frosty5689

frosty5689 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems to have gotten better, will test more to see.

10. Bandrik

Bandrik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While I secretly feel similarly as TallRed about the amount of woe that has happened over ASUS's product(s), I don't want to detract from everyone's amazing efforts to get things to where they are now. Yeah, it does kind of suck that the community had to step up like this instead of it working out of the gate, but that's the hand we're dealt.

Imagine if this was rampant, though. What if it was even worse. What if game systems that sold millions of the same unit all had major issues that were slow to be corrected, or impossible to correct due to the flaws being in the hardware.

Oh wait.

[​IMG]

Point is, we're kind of lucky here in that (hopefully) things CAN be fixed with software updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.