Beta BIOS - Possible Missing Keystroke Fix

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Gary Key, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Key

Gary Key Company Representative

Reputations:
    --mod edit--

A new BIOS version 213, ATK driver package 1.0.0008, and Synaptics driver 15.2.11 seem to have resolved this issue according to users in this thread.

The BIOS and ATK driver package can be downloaded here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=G73Jh&os=30&SLanguage=en-us
    The Synaptics driver can be found here: http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/synaptics/synaptics_touchpad_15.2.11(www.station-drivers.com).exe

Alternatively see directly below:

This file can be found here: http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/G73_KBTP_Fix.zip via http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

-ALLurGroceries

--/mod edit--

01/07/11 Update - Please download and use this file for the missing keystroke problem - https://www.yousendit.com/download/RlRyZm1ha0RvQnRjR0E9PQ -
    (use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only)
    This BIOS should fix remaining problems, based on latest test reports. Please updated to the latest ATK, AMD Catalyst, and Touchpad drivers. Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens). We will then contact you for additional information or service.

12/25 Update - New BIOS Link - Please follow below Instructions as Before

The BIOS file and related flashing utilities along with a Synoptics diagnostic reporting utility are available here - http://www.mediafire.com/file/tb5wes98jja966x/G73JhASb.rar for download. All driver download links are based on assumptions that Windows 7 64-bit is the OS choice, please adjust accordingly on the driver downloads if this is not the case.

We highly suggest you visit the G73Jw (having G73Jh page updated) download page here - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. and download the following files and install them prior to flashing the BIOS.

ATK - Version V1.0.0007
    TouchPad - Version V15.0.11.0
    Others - Intel Engine Management Interface - Version V6.0.0.1179
    Others - Keyboard Device Filter - Version V1.0.0.3

I realize there are later drivers available for these programs but at this point we need everyone on equal driver sets based on our testing with this beta BIOS.

After updating your BIOS (use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only) please do the following -
    1. Update to the latest VBios if you do not already have it installed - file download and instructions are located here - G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update
    2. Uninstall the Realtek Audio and HDMI driver sets and then reinstall with HD Codec version 2.55 and ATI HDMI 2.55 driver sets if they are not already installed. The download link is here (need to accept the license first) - Realtek
    3. Do a complete uninstall of the AMD Video drivers and then install the 10.12 driver set that is available here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.36&lang=us&rev=&ostype=Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
    4. Also, please ensure the latest DirectX update is installed - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer and all important Win7 updates are installed.

Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens).

We have noticed a significant amount of systems returned for the missing keystroke problem have been fixed with the above procedure in early testing and this new BIOS has solved further problems. However, it has not been perfect so we need to collect further information from those users still having problems.

2. KuroLionheart

KuroLionheart Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Downloading at the speed of light!

3. ValkerieFire

ValkerieFire God Follower

Reputations:
    Way to go!

4. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I just flashed mine without issue, make sure to use a freshly formatted FAT USB stick if you're using Easy Flash from the BIOS setup utility. I'm going to sticky this post for a few days, so that it doesn't get buried.

5. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have been waiting and waiting for this. :( I worked and worked on this problem. I tried everything. Now a possible fix comes out and my laptop is away on RMA. It's been out for RMA for several weeks.

Oh well. Please post results. I've got my fingers crossed for you all! :)

6. KuroLionheart

KuroLionheart Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tried messing with the touchpad in any way I could and it wouldn't mess up, could it really be fixed? I call blasphemy.

Edit: It doesn't mess up no matter what, I tried using it with every finger, every gesture and a lot of abrupt actions and it works perfect. Oh lawd I think it's finally fixed with some magic. When I type it feels different now though.

7. puterg33k

puterg33k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mines always worked, and I've only had one GSOD. :p

8. Groto

Groto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't had keystroke problems I don't think, but every once in awhile my touchpad goes crazy and tries to scroll down pages instead of move the cursor. Does this bios fix this problem or only the keystrokes?

Thanks

9. Toxictaru

Toxictaru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just did a straight bios update, touchpad feels better already, and there were no missed keystrokes typing this post. Will do more testing, but so far, even without messing with any of the drivers as mentioned in the first post, it works a lot better (as far as I can tell anyway).

10. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ATI removed the 10.11 driver for download becouse some conformance tests havent been done (not that i want it though, im sticking with 10.8a until something better comes out). A download link can be found HERE though if you still want it.

Let us know how the testing goes, im not at my laptop atm so i cant help out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.