Best wifi card with 5ghz for laptop

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by ngotiendat, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Agreed.. Never heard of Asus ever blacklisting wifi cards... I wouldn't have been able to upgrade my wifi card from 5200 to 5300 if that had been the case :D

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Although with my devices I am still stuck at n I just got a Netgear ac-3200 tri-band router. Got to say it is great compared to the 9 year old Trendnet that died. Now it is getting about time to upgrade the laptops card to an AC.

alexhawker likes this.
  3. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Broadcom BCM43228 ( BCM943228HMB ) is great 300mbps card with bluetooth.

usually connect at 300 mbps and throughput near 200 mbps
    at both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Broadcom.. mehh.. I rather try my luck with the Killer 1525 or Intel 7260/7265 tbh... Broadcom wifi cards are not known for their reliability or performance...

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just a heads up. If you have a new router and plan a NAS be careful. With my new Ac-3200 I get great bandwidth and most everything is great but one big issue. I just purchased a 5TB usb 3.0 drive for NAS storage and DLNA. My issue cropped up when I had my primary laptop do a backup of data.

The issue is DPC latency. Now that I can flood the 300mbit with data the latency went off the charts with my 6250 PCIe card. I was running the latest drivers but noticed after start up and with the backup running that over time it just kept creeping up. This was all noticed about 30 minutes in with audio cracks on a you tube video.

I had just upgraded to the 15.15.0.1 but they were horrible. So I progressively downgraded back to 15.0.0.1 (Original drivers from the OEM). With these drivers I had some speed dropdowns to 240 and 270mbit so I went up to 15.3.1 and now 300mbit is hard-fast. While DPC latency with the wireless channel flooded still shows an occasional spike over 2000 us there are no issues and it never gets near the 8000 us I was seeing nor is there a progressive degradation.

I think I will give up on data backup with my system as 200+gb at any one time is a bit much for a network to handle. My wonder now is there a wireless AC card with low DPC latency?

Edit; adding a picture, wireless under no load, other than system, and full load.

DPCL_6250_NL.jpg

DPCL_6250_FL.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. dcrdev

dcrdev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if there's a half height pcie card based on the Killer 1525 chipset?

7. dcrdev

Reputations:
    Hmm been searching around and came across the 1420, which is pcie half height, dual band and supports ac. Anyone know anything about them? I can only find dell manufactured cards though - are they likely to work on a non dell machine?

Here's one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Dell-...109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf4e9f90d

8. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This has nothing to do with Killer though. Killer is a brand belonging to Qualcomm Atheros and this card is clearly a Broadcom. It even mentions chipset in its name BCM4352

As for your previous question - ther's is no Killer 1525 in pcie format, only M.2

9. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This mini pcie 3x3
    No,but there's a Asus Broadcom 3x3 mini pcie
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-7260.716325/page-44#post-9889650

Be advised that the connectors on the BCM94360HMB mini pcie wireless card that's inside the ASUS WIFI GO 3T3R AW-CB160H are MHF4 that are much smaller than those on present mini pcie cards

There's also an Apple with pcie adapter;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apple-i...504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9699ac28

10. dcrdev

Reputations:
    I don't suppose there are any adapters for MHF4 type connector? I know I could replace the aerials - but on my laptop that would require removing the motherboard to be able to access them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.