Best way to store a laptop long term?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ZimriNotebook, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ZimriNotebook

ZimriNotebook Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't really know where to post this so here will have to do. I am picking up a new laptop tomorrow and I will not need it until next year. I know that's a long time to not use it but please don't bother me about it. I am wondering what the best way to store it would be to prevent dust from collecting inside if it. If I keep it in a cardbox box will that alone be enough to keep dust from collecting inside of the laptop? Also, should I turn it on weekly/monthly or is it okay to not use it for that long? Thank you guys so much!

2. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you can, I would at least remove the battery.

Otherwise sitting in its packaging or a box would be fine. That's how it would sit before it's sold in a store. Some models that aren't popular would sit in the box for months or even a year until they drop to a clearance price.

katalin_2003, Fishon and JRE84 like this.
  3. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lemme see... I hv a:
    10.1" Asus Transformer
    15.6" HP 250 with removable battery
    15.6" Lenovo Legion 5
    17.3" Lenovo L340...

3 batts are embedded. Only HP flexible. Due to work hours, I hv less time to spend with the Transformer and the L340 biggie. So, periodically about a fortnight, I would charge them both up full, then giving my 15inchers a break for a day. Use the charged pappies till their battery power falls to 1/3rd of the whole capacity and power them up again in another fortnight.

For TS case, if more than a fortnight, best left a rough 40% of battery charge, then do a full shutdown. Repower in another 1½mths or so, just to keep system updated on OS and antivirus and alive.

4. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally you just answered your own question. After opening up the box and checking out your new laptop you can put it back in the box with its original packaging and reseal it in the box.

Make sure your battery is around at a 40-80% charge so it wont degrade.

Papusan likes this.