best way to clean a thinkpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by afhstingray, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

The matte rubbery surface has been giving me problems with cleaning. if i touch it with sweaty hands, the oil makes it darker black kind of like "fingerprints". Also, the other day some chalk got on it, and the white powdery dust seems really hard to remove.

Any ideas?

2. cisp360

cisp360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting question. How about a wet paper towel? I am still waiting for the x220t, and my hand is ALWAYS wet :(. Thats why i dont like the touch screen. And i dont even know if a laptop is ok for me since the keyboard and the mouse i am using right now become really really oily and dirty because of my hand :(

3. afhstingray

Reputations:
    i tried a damp tissue, it sort of worked for the chalk, but the sweat stain is still there.

didnt want to try anything other than water in case it damaged whatever coating they use

4. EZjijy

EZjijy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. afhstingray

Reputations:
    ok im not sure i want to go through all the trouble of diluting dishwashing liquid etc. i hope there is an easier way..my mum's dell has a similar rubberised coating and just a tissue works.....

6. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I've always used a "roughly" 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water to clean the laptop surfaces, applying it and drying it off with paper towels (tissues leave small fibers). Works well for the keyboard, and the various surfaces of my T500 and X120e. I generally avoid using any chemicals on my screens, though. Seeing as I don't touch my screens, some warm breath and a microfiber cloth clean them very well.

7. kobe_24

kobe_24 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This was posted before on these boards, and a few say it was ok to use wet wipes. Well, don't! I've used that few times and some of the black is off of my thinkpad! :(

8. afhstingray

Reputations:
    dont those have alcohol in them? then the 50-50 mix with water might be dangerous too?

9. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I've never had any issues with paint coming off, and I've been regularly cleaning my Thinkpads ever since I got them. Could be some other ingredient in the baby wipes.

10. MikesDell

MikesDell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also use the damp cloth method. Works very well for me !

I usually wipe down my T61 once every 2 weeks or so, just to get the oil / dust / etc. off the laptop. This has worked very well in the past 3+ years I've had my T61. In fact, it still looks 98% like the day I took it out of the box !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.