Best thermal paste

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Rahego, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So far i always followed reviews. Few years top King on forum was IC Diamond.

Hell lot expensive Been using it for year and i can only say that its thick, hard to spread and drying in 2-3 months. Besides cons its doing the job.

Than i went for thermal grizzly kryonaut Best of Best at 2017. Performance is the same as with IC Diamond but without its cons. Easy to spread and lasting long.

Now it is 2019 and its time for improvement. Many tests are pointing towards Arctic Silver 5. Perhaps it is thermal compound of the year.

What you guys think? Anyone tried? Or mby you have your own champs?

In laptops where temperatures are crucial even more, every celcius makes difference. Choosing the best is only right choice :)

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Liquid metal will always be the best for temperatures, and will last a long time if you have good contact pressure. I had no luck with Kryonaut as it dried out quickly, IC Diamond was much better for me. I've not heard of many people using Arctic Silver 5 in 2019. Perhaps in 2009 it was a good paste, but there are so many better alternatives to it nowadays that its not worth using.

jaybee83, bennyg, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try CoolerMaster Mastergel Maker. Same as ICD but very easy to spread. Its been 3 yrs since I repasted.

4. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Arrrrbol LM will always be on the top. But it comes with risk. With risk that some may not take.

@Vasudev you mean same thermal performance?

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah. Then again, only limit will be depending the heatsink. Flimsy heatsink and similar will need a thin spread method but I recommend spreading the paste with included spatula or Q tips for best performance.
    I think there's ~2-5C increase in CPU/GPU temps because my ambient temps are above 35C.

6. Lumlx

Lumlx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never had a problem with ICD drying out. I never spread it just put a little blob in middle of gpu/cpu. Though I put ICD syringe in plastic bag and put it inside of a cup with hot water so it would heat up. Easier to squeeze it out of syringe.

Papusan, joluke and Arrrrbol like this.
  7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    ICD7 is not meant to be spread, but use a line or ball, depending on chip shape. Also I never had it dry out either. My G73JH never dried out in over 5 years of service.

Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. alexpre888

alexpre888 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I used Kryonaut and Arctic Silver 5 in the past and present. Either one of them should be good for your PC.

9. Paul16

Paul16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does liquid metal ruin copper heatsink? And can it really drip somewhere inside if carrying laptop? I heard a lot of stories about this but it was more like rumors

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It gets into the pores of the metal and gives it a silvery sheen but does not really impact performance.

jaybee83, Arrrrbol, Papusan and 2 others like this.