Best thermal paste for msi laptop

Discussion in 'MSI' started by greninga, Jun 9, 2020.

1. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Nice, that sounds about right.

Yes, instead of a foam dam you could use paste, it'll just be messier to clean up the next time you need to reapply liquid metal.

werdmonkey4321 likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Old school Arctic Ceramique 1 is a very nice dam if you have it around. It's very thick, apparently doesn't dry out and won't go anywhere once it's applied.

3. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This.

4. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendations, you guys. I'll take a look at using Ceramique the next time I need to repaste the liquid metal.

I also got a bit curious last night and decided to repaste the GPU as well with Thermalright Liquid Metal Silver King. In my case, there weren't any observable differences when compared to Kryonaut. Max temperatures were 62C at full load drawing 80 watts. It could be simply that the heatsink provides high enough pressure on the GPU so that the difference between Kryonaut and Liquid Metal is negligible or there just simply isn't a large enough thermal load to see its benefits. The stress tests were run for 15 minutes with Aida64+Unigine Heaven benchmark running simultaneously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/he0ddb/gs66_liquid_metal_vs_kryonaut_on_gpu/

5. seanwee

Reputations:
    Yes there's not much to gain from putting LM on a Max-q gpu. There's just not enough thermal density.

werdmonkey4321 and Falkentyne like this.
  6. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GPU loves thicker paste specially in MSI laptops, Or you can lap your cooler and use a carbonaut like @seanwee did.

7. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lm only ,,works fine ,,,tested year or more ,,cpu/gpu \ 3m tape+ silicone
    gt75 7re ,,all paste die fast on 100w config

8. seanwee

Reputations:
    Speaking of thicker pastes, I just brought a tube of new cooler master Mastergel maker to repaste my zephyrus G. The one with the flat head design.

The tube is horrendous. The spread is uneven and there's a lot of wasted paste just crusting around the wide nozzle. It's a waste more paste design imo.

Paste wise it's much better than before. It's more viscous than the old version and surprisingly it outperformed kryonaut by a fair margin. On the zephyrus I used to get 69°C on the gpu before and now it runs at just 65°C. (zephyrus G is running a 1660ti Max-q).

Thanks for the gelid GP extreme recommendation btw @Papusan. It's cheaper and better than thermal grizzly minus 8 pads.

Papusan, tiliarou and awsan like this.
  9. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I might try lapping my heatsink on my GS66. Did you notice any drastic improvements in temps by doing so, and what was your process for lapping the heatsink. I was going to just follow the one from Overclockers club.

10. seanwee

Reputations:
    Appreciable but not drastic. I've tested it before on an old laptop.

Here's the post