Best thermal paste for msi laptop

Discussion in 'MSI' started by greninga, Jun 9, 2020.

1. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    IC graphite isnt good because its too thick. As such it needs high mounting pressure which is not present in laptops.
    Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut is better simply because its thinner.

The best thermal interfaces i've used so far are Conductonaut for the cpu and Carbonaut for the gpu. This is provided you dont have problems with uneven heatsinks. I've lapped mine to a mirror finish so its as even as can be which is especially important if you plan on using Carbonaut.

Papusan likes this.
  2. greninga

greninga Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thing carbonaut its 2mm thick.and ic graphite its 1mm. I was ready to try carbonaut but I saw that it's too thick.
    And many reviews report +3-4c higher temps compare to graphite.
    Dont know but this ic graphite I have try at ge75 it's the best for me. Its give u about 3c high temps compare to very fresh kryonaut but never go higher like paste does
    Till now and after a week about ,its stable like the first minutes of installed

Edit: no maybe u are right carbonaut I thing its 0,2mm.
    But many reviews have report higher temps than ic.
    About 3-4 I thing carbonaut need more pressure for heatsink for works better

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  3. seanwee

Reputations:
    Carbonaut is 0.2mm thick and its very soft so it can be compressed to be even thinner than that. Carbonaut is like a very soft cloth while IC graphite is quite rigid.

Softness is very important as it allows the pad to conform to the unevenness of the surfaces better.

Carbonaut is single use though. Once it's compressed it will tear when you try to remove it.

On the gpu side carbonaut performs better than kryonaut and is on par with Liquid metal for me but doesn't have longevity issues which is why I switched over to it.

4. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was actually interested in using Conductonaut on the CPU in my GS66, but I wasn't sure whether it was worth the trouble. As noted in my previous comments I have a pretty wide spread in max core temp, upwards of 10C. It also a tripod mount for the heatsink on the CPU.

Would it be advisable for me to use liquid metal in my case? I'm mainly looking at using liquid metal for lower fan speeds since if it works right it should give me at least~10C reductions in CPU temps. Currently, with coolerboost on my laptop can handle all core boost at 4.2ghz(65-67 package power draw) with temps below 90C fine using just Kryonaut.

5. seanwee

Reputations:
    As long as you watch some good LM application guides theres no harm in trying.

Papusan and werdmonkey4321 like this.
  6. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity how much of an improvement did you find in CPU thermals when you used liquid metal when compared to a high quality non conductive paste like Kryonaut?

Also do you have any recommendations for low density foam with high thermal thresholds that I can buy online? I'm looking to put up a foam dam as recommended in some previous posts other users have made before.

7. seanwee

Reputations:
    I just used cheap dishwashing sponge. Works fine. Keep in mind only the cpu die gets really hot. The surrounding is much cooler.

The important thing is to use very soft foam so that it doesn't interfere with the already weak tripod mount.

On the cpu I got down to 69°C at max fans compared to 92-94 stock. With kryonaut I was getting mid 80s.

Then I bypassed the cpu power limit and kryo started hitting the low 90s so I switched to LM and it dropped to the mid 70s

werdmonkey4321 likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is really the important thing.
    Not that someone is 3C higher than Kryonaut, but that they will be at that 3C forever and it will never change.
    So they can actually use their computer and not have to care about worse temps (unless ambients get worse by same delta).

I have alot of graphite pads. They are reliable long term. Just not the best for temps.
    Never tested carbonaut. Never will either, not at those prices if you can't re-use it (it was advertised as reusable by Der8auer, remember?).

Papusan and seanwee like this.
  9. seanwee

Reputations:
    Yeah they cost a pretty penny. I've gone through 3 of them and am on my 4th one and I likely won't be repasting for many years to come.

The thing is, if you want to reuse them you can, but if you actually installed them in a way that they perform perfectly, they will be squeezed so thin that they will tear immediately upon removal of the heatsink.

Even if by some miracle it doesn't tear, it will not go back to its original thickness, making it less effective if you don't place it back in exactly they way it was originally placed. The accumulation of dust and other small particles on the surface will also reduce its effectiveness.

10. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks again. I ended up repasting with liquid metal on the CPU in my GS66. I decided to use Thermalright liquid metal Silver King instead of Conductonaut, since the latter would take a week before it would arrive here. Mr.Fox also said the Thermalright liquid metal had the same performance as Conductonaut so no real losses by using it instead.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/liquid-metal-and-33-tape.829130/#post-10985882

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Perf...ermalright+liquid+metal&qid=1592784282&sr=8-3

Also I tried the foam dam, but it ended up giving really high temps because of the metal shroud that surrounds the die in the 10th gen CPUs. This shroud is also present in the Asus Zephyrus S15, which includes liquid metal out of the factory, so the shroud is an Intel addition I think? I'm guessing they put it there to prevent thermal paste/liquid metal runoff. I instead opted to create a barrier by putting a thermal paste boundary on top of the metal shroud. All of these details are mentioned in my Reddit post below. Here is my post with benchmarks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/hdhdca/gs66_liquid_metal_versus_kryonaut_thermal/

Overall I noticed an 8-10C improvement in max core temps by going from kryonaut to Thermalright liquid metal. Core differentials also improved from 10C to 5C in between cores.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    seanwee likes this.